Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another PEX question

Posted by apg4 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 12:26

The dishwasher I'm replacing (in another thread) has a PEX tee and valve in the crawl space off the 1/2" copper supply to the kitchen sink. Now I seem to recall some problem with PEX plumbing in the past, and this fitting is the same age as the dishwasher: 25 years or so.

A web search didn't uncover any issues, but there were references to PEX made with and w/o an "oxygen barrier".

Should the tee and fitting be replaced or is there any way to tell if the piping has the so-called oxygen barrier?

Cheers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another PEX question

Got my terminology mixed up. It's gray and is QEST - and although it has compression fittings as opposed to those compression 'bands' - yeah, there have been problems. Pro'lly going with "sharkbite" fittings. I hate having to solder over my head in a tiny space....

I don't know about y'all, but every year the crawl space access grows a little smaller.... ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here