Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jscozz_gw

Generator gas plumbing and regulator

jscozz
11 years ago

I am going to be installing a standby generator... got all my numbers together... contacted the gas company. My current meter has to be upsized to handle the cfm requirements... no problem. Problem comes in with the pressure. My current regulator is 5-7" WC. The generator requires 7-11. All my house appliances are good up to 10.5". So, I assumed that the gas company would just give me a 7-9" regulator like I see on MANY other homes. NO! They tell me they are standardizing on installations for generators, and will only give me 1 lb pressure (28") and it is my job to drop it down from there.

If the Kohler generator says it will work on 7-11, does that mean it will work just as well at 7 as it will at 11 or would it work better at the higher end of the range? I will need a plumber to install a 5-7" regulator for my house and another for the generator... what would be the best size regulator for the Kohler 20RES generator that will run on 7-11" of pressure? The generator is right next to the meter and will have a 1-1/4" pipe.

I would appreciate info from anyone who has been through this!

Comments (4)