Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bushido_ben

Shower Panel Install Gone Wrong

Bushido_Ben
10 years ago

I had a local plumber that was highly reviewed on Home advisor come out yesterday to install my new shower panel. His plan included cutting out the drywall directly behind the shower to put in a access panel. Unfortunately, the wall behind the shower was at a diagonal angle and he couldn't get the needed access.

Therefore, he needed to make the cutout of the shower valve bigger to access the required plumbing.

---------------------------------------------------------
The dilemma and the reason for my post:
---------------------------------------------------------

He didn't cover the hole where the previous shower valve was (see picture below). Moreover, this shower panel has a curved top without a cover, so water can get behind it and my fear that eventually moisture will get in the sheet rock. When he was done with the install, I asked him how he closed the hole in the tile and his answer was "you can buy some insulated waterproof foam and spray it in there." He left it up to me to seal the hole.

Additionally, to seal the shower head, he put on the small delta valve from the prior shower head (see picture) and used silicone to seal the small shower head hole.

However, the large shower valve hole is still unsealed.

-----------------------------------
My question is as follows:
-----------------------------------

Do I use a product like DAP Kwik Foam or is there other alternative solutions to seal the hole? I am concerned of future moisture, water or mold issues if the hole is left unsealed. I am uploading pictures to show the full scope of what I am writing about. Any comments or suggestions will be welcomed as I am not sure what to do in this matter. Furthermore, I am scared to contact another plumber after my experience with a highly rated/reviewed plumber.

In hindsight, I should have not let him off the hook by allowing him to put the burden on me since i hired him to complete the work. Lesson learned.

Previous Shower head and valve: Delta Shower head and valve
New Shower Panel: Pulse Santa Cruz

Comments (2)

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

So, you purchased this questionable product and then hired someone to install it? That had never seen it? Or helped you to pick something actually suitable for the situation? And then things were complicated further by the fact that your architecture made his original (very sound) choice to approach the install from the rear not work? Cutting the hole bigger in the tile seems unavoidable at that point.

Next time, talk to the plumber before selecting the product. What you picked is a poor choice and installed as best as it can be under the circumstances. The hole doesn't need to be filled with anything as long as the fixture is sealed to the tile. You still have the old stuff in the walls. And it won't last forever.

• Bushido_Ben
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your reply hollysprings.

Not that it's critically important now but had I been informed of the additional tile work that was needed I would have planned accordingly and maybe not had the panel installed. Additionally, when the plumber came out to the house after I had sent him pictures of what the job required, he informed me that he had done many shower panel installs and it was a fairly simple process. I informed him that if it was an issue, I could continue to live with the current shower setup and was not married to the Pulse shower panel and could return it to Lowes. He said it would be fine, assuring me multiple times.

Since I have never had this kind of work done before I was under the impression they would seal any openings. This was my mistake for not asking more questions when he came out and waiting for after the install was done.

Given the circumstances, you are correct in that he did do his job as best he could...I just wished he would have communicated the tile work portion. In other words, told me that there was additional work that was required to get it right for me as the homeowner. Regardless, whats done is done and I am currently waiting to hear back from a few tile contractors to seal the openings. My concern is resolving the issue instead of blaming the product choice, plumber or architect b/c again, this doesn't solve the problem at hand.

Furthermore, I contacted the shower panel manufacturer and they told me that there should be stub-outs that protrude out of the tile by an inch or so just in case there are future leaks.

After I have the tile guys come out and take a look to see if they can do the job, I will have a plumber come out and install the required stub outs (per the instruction manual I gave the plumber who installed the panel) and then tile around it. I believe the Flex supply lines are part of the shower panel and per manufacturer should never be inside the wall but instead outside connected to stub outs.