Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange flow from hot water

Posted by jaz50y (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 11 at 12:06

When I turn on the hot water tap on my basement utility sink, it runs fine for a moment or two, then with a hammer clunk, stops. If I continue to open the tap well past the normal point, the water resumes the flow, tho at a reduced rate. I think that hot water throughout the house runs slower than the cold, although the phenomenon with the utility sink tap does not occur anywhere else. I have no idea what causes this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange flow from hot water

It sounds like your faucet has an anti-scald feature which will reduce the flow to a trickle when the temperature exceeds a pre-set limit (120F?)

o

I think that particular faucet has a loose faucet washer. Remove the stem and tighten the screw that holds the washer.

o

It is a simple faucet, and stops almost immediately, long before hot water reaches it. I will check the washer.

o

It was the washer - screw was loose and washer was damaged. Never would have thought of it, thanks.

o

Thanks for coming back to report results. We don't get enough of that.

o

I just remembered that years ago, the mail order novelty catalogs (the kind we still get) offered a pack of little rubber balls that were intended to replace faucet washers. Remove the screw and washer, drop in the ball and reinstall the stem assembly. They worked, sort of. But sometimes they vibrated and chattered and usually lasted only a short time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here