Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachella_gw

MaP Toilet ratings

rachella
11 years ago

Hi All,

I am so confused now - argh - renoing 3 bathrooms and went with the toto soiree for the master bath toilet - probably should have went with the porcher chapeau. have to replace the toilet in the powder room downstairs too and am curious about the American standard town square and the American Standard Cadet.

I looked at the MAP tests (http://www.map-testing.com/assets/files/2012-11-13-MaP-tested-tank-type-toilets.pdf) and the soiree comes in at only 600. I phoned the toto technical people and they still say there toilet is better - because you don't get splashing.

OMG this is sooo confusing. I really don't like renovating.

Comments (11)

• bus_driver
    11 years ago

I bought and installed 3 of the Toto Ultimate in 2003. As far as I know, no ratings existed at that time. The Toto Ultimate does not have very high MAP numbers. But we are very pleased with the toilets. One flapper failed about a year ago and the Fluidmaster replacement from Lowes, while not low cost, appears to be more durable than the original.

• thull
    11 years ago

We have an Ultimate and a Drake. My parents have an Eco Drake and an Ultramax. If the Soiree is the 1.28gpf dual cyclone setup I see on Toto's website, I'd go with it. The Eco Drake has the same flush and works great.

The Ultimate is my least favorite. It has always been particular about how you flush it to keep it from clogging (hold the lever down until the trap glugs). I've replaced a flapper that disintegrated. To Toto's credit, they sent me free flappers when I asked about why that happened (nothing in the water that should've accelerated the rubber deteriorating).

Now the lever wants to sometimes stick down/open when you flush. Also, the fill valve has been sticking sometimes, too. So, you flush, then it takes several seconds before the valve opens to refill the tank. I've contemplated replacing the innards and upgrading it to be an Ultramax.

That's our oldest Toto (~10 yrs). The others (2 to 7 years) haven't had problems.

• Terry Love
    11 years ago

The MaP rating is a pretty basic rating that may not mean as much in real life.
    The church that I go to has four Ultimate toilets, (MaP 325) four Ultramax (MaP 600) and two ADA Drakes (MaP 900)
    Those have been in place for over ten years, performing flawlessly.

Before we demo'ed the old bathrooms, the American Standard Cadet's (five gallon versions) were plugging constantly.

Map only rates how much slippery plastic wrapped sliders will pass through. If you use them for human functions, it changes how well they work. It's interesting to see in real life usage how little the big numbers mean. I'm not dropping consistently sized plastic wrapped missiles down there.
    Map also doesn't rate bowl wash. Or whether you can purchase replacement parts. Or the percentage of bowl returns because of defects. You might say, it's a test designed by an engineer that wants to keep his hands clean.
    That's okay if you're playing video games or tic tac toe, but not particularly useful for someone that has to live with one in the home.

Is the Soriee a nice bowl? Yes.
    I gave my GF a Drake II with double cyclone and Sanagloss; she thinks it's self cleaning.
    It's not, but it's head and shoulders better then the Glacier Bay that we threw away.

• thull
    11 years ago

I'm an engineer. And I get my hands dirty. And I like the MaP ratings. Let's see how many other sweeping generalizations I can confound.

I think the two-piece Totos have better performance than the one piece ones because they have a little bit more head due to the taller tank. If I was going to buy one, it'd be an Eco Drake hands down. The Soiree looks alright if looks win.

I'm waiting on the last few parts to rebuild our Ultimate as an Ultramax. The sticky lever has gotten bad enough that I had to do something.

• R J
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Can someone provide feedback on below toto toilets ? In terms of 1) flushing(no waste sticking), 2) durability, 3) noise, which one is the best ? Thanks and really appreciate it.

CST744EL

CST454CEFG

MS604114CEFG

• Jake The Wonderdog
    7 years ago

Use the link in the very first part of this thread and plug in your numbers.

• R J
    7 years ago

Thanks. But that only tells MaP which is not real world performance. Also, does that page say anything on 1) flushing(no waste sticking), 2) durability, 3) noise ? I don't see any.

• thull
    7 years ago

MaP really tries to simulate real world performance (think sticky soy paste). I would vote for your 2nd and 3rd options. If I had to buy a toilet today, I'd probably get the Eco Drake II for the double cyclone flush. My parents have this and it seems like it does a very good job.

My comment above on one-piece vs two-piece still stands (IMO tank height affects flush performance). That's based on our Ultimate-upgraded-to-Ultramax, which tends to clog more than our 1.6 gpf Drake. My solution always has been to hold the lever until the trap glugs to make sure the one-piece flushes well.

Waste sticks every now and then- I suspect now that most toilets have this issue occasionally, mainly because they don't have 2 gal sitting in the bowl all the time.

On durability, our porcelain is 10 to 15 years old now. No problems there. I've had to replace flush valves, flappers and one lever. I seem to get 4-5 years out of them before changing something else out. I wonder a bit about their parts quality these days- I keep hoping to run into one of Toto's upper-level folks at an event in town and grill him about it.

• R J
    7 years ago

Thanks. For Eco Drake II, do you mean CST454CEFG 1.28G or CST454CUFG 1G ? I wonder if you know whether CST454CUFG 1G flushes just as well as CST454CEFG 1.28G where no residue is left from solid wastes. And I wonder if you know whether the trick of pressing lever all the way down without releasing to get more waster works for both these two models. And if so, does this trick help further on no residue from solid wastes ?

• R J
    7 years ago

By the way, if I hold the lever until the trap glugs to get an extra water for flushing, how many gallons of water would that be for 1G nominal like CST454CUFG, MS604114CUFG, and for 1.28G nominal like CST744EL, CST454CEFG, MS604114CEFG ?

• thull
    7 years ago

I don't know exactly. And I wouldn't worry about it too much. My wild guess is at most it's 1/4-gal. What you're really doing is keeping the flapper out of the way as the flush finishes draining the tank.

You could probably hop out of the shower 30 seconds earlier and save more water. For a flush or two a day, it's de minimus.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES