Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MaP Toilet ratings

Posted by rachella (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 12:03

Hi All,

I am so confused now - argh - renoing 3 bathrooms and went with the toto soiree for the master bath toilet - probably should have went with the porcher chapeau. have to replace the toilet in the powder room downstairs too and am curious about the American standard town square and the American Standard Cadet.

I looked at the MAP tests (http://www.map-testing.com/assets/files/2012-11-13-MaP-tested-tank-type-toilets.pdf) and the soiree comes in at only 600. I phoned the toto technical people and they still say there toilet is better - because you don't get splashing.

OMG this is sooo confusing. I really don't like renovating.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MaP Toilet ratings

I bought and installed 3 of the Toto Ultimate in 2003. As far as I know, no ratings existed at that time. The Toto Ultimate does not have very high MAP numbers. But we are very pleased with the toilets. One flapper failed about a year ago and the Fluidmaster replacement from Lowes, while not low cost, appears to be more durable than the original.

o

We have an Ultimate and a Drake. My parents have an Eco Drake and an Ultramax. If the Soiree is the 1.28gpf dual cyclone setup I see on Toto's website, I'd go with it. The Eco Drake has the same flush and works great.

The Ultimate is my least favorite. It has always been particular about how you flush it to keep it from clogging (hold the lever down until the trap glugs). I've replaced a flapper that disintegrated. To Toto's credit, they sent me free flappers when I asked about why that happened (nothing in the water that should've accelerated the rubber deteriorating).

Now the lever wants to sometimes stick down/open when you flush. Also, the fill valve has been sticking sometimes, too. So, you flush, then it takes several seconds before the valve opens to refill the tank. I've contemplated replacing the innards and upgrading it to be an Ultramax.

That's our oldest Toto (~10 yrs). The others (2 to 7 years) haven't had problems.

o

The MaP rating is a pretty basic rating that may not mean as much in real life.
The church that I go to has four Ultimate toilets, (MaP 325) four Ultramax (MaP 600) and two ADA Drakes (MaP 900)
Those have been in place for over ten years, performing flawlessly.

Before we demo'ed the old bathrooms, the American Standard Cadet's (five gallon versions) were plugging constantly.

Map only rates how much slippery plastic wrapped sliders will pass through. If you use them for human functions, it changes how well they work. It's interesting to see in real life usage how little the big numbers mean. I'm not dropping consistently sized plastic wrapped missiles down there.
Map also doesn't rate bowl wash. Or whether you can purchase replacement parts. Or the percentage of bowl returns because of defects. You might say, it's a test designed by an engineer that wants to keep his hands clean.
That's okay if you're playing video games or tic tac toe, but not particularly useful for someone that has to live with one in the home.

Is the Soriee a nice bowl? Yes.
I gave my GF a Drake II with double cyclone and Sanagloss; she thinks it's self cleaning.
It's not, but it's head and shoulders better then the Glacier Bay that we threw away.

o

I'm an engineer. And I get my hands dirty. And I like the MaP ratings. Let's see how many other sweeping generalizations I can confound.

I think the two-piece Totos have better performance than the one piece ones because they have a little bit more head due to the taller tank. If I was going to buy one, it'd be an Eco Drake hands down. The Soiree looks alright if looks win.

I'm waiting on the last few parts to rebuild our Ultimate as an Ultramax. The sticky lever has gotten bad enough that I had to do something.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here