Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas water heater

Posted by bus_driver (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 10 at 11:24

I do not want to wrongly disparage any product or manufacturer. I found a natural gas water heater that is the size I need on Craigslist. New at attractive price. American ProLine. Apparently this is the American Water Heater company in TN. My research indicates they may be the manufacturer of the Sears Kenmore and the Whirlpool. Online comments indicate high numbers of problems that may prove impossible to repair. Is my information wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas water heater

I'm guessing that that water heater is made by Rheem. There are only 3 manufacturers of water heaters here in the good old USA, Rheem, A.O.Smith and Bradford-White. Most are some variations of Rheem and A.O. (Supposedly Bradford only sells to plumbing professionals like myself.) Most heaters these days have a six year warranty by the factory, covering parts only, and 1 year warranty on labor. You would still have to pay someone labor to repair it if the heater is over a year old. If who you hire services that brand they should have the parts in their truck and be able do deal with the warranty paperwork. The warranty time is determined by the manufacture date. If your buying a deal off of Craigslist, who knows what you are getting. If you are willing to take that risk, that's fine. I'm not familiar with that brand, it's probably as good as any, just the warranty might be an issue. Unless it starts leaking or it malfunctions and burns up it is usally repairable.---The Captain

o

Website

Here is a link that might be useful: American

o

Hmmm...Looks like a variation of A.O.Smith.

Here is the A.O. website http://www.hotwater.com/

Again, they are probably as good as any, just be concerned about warranty---The Captain

o

I looked at the Whirpool at Lowes. The box notes that it is made by the American Water Heater Company in TN.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here