Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower fixture - handheld and valve

Posted by hippityhoppy (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 2, 11 at 11:10

I am adding a new shower in the lower level of a rancher in Maryland and would like advise on a handheld shower fixture.

I like the Speakman VS 1001 because it offers a handheld showerhead and a combination slide bar to hold up the showerhead and it is also a grab bar. Is this a good choice?

What valve and trim would work with that?
1. Speakman offers the SM 4080 which includes both the handheld device and a valve.
2. Moentrol valves are recommended but would appreciate suggestions on which one to select.
Others?

Is the handheld plus a valve everything that is needed?
Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Speakman's SM 4080 handheld shower and valve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower fixture - handheld and valve

No info on the showerhead but I can tell you that rail IS NOT A "GRAB BAR".

It is a slider to allow you to position the shower head at different heights -- that's all it's designed to do. It is not secure enough to use for physical support. Actual "grab-bars" are stouter designs with more substantial mountings.

The reason I'm sensitive is that I live in a care-giving situation with an elderly woman (mom) with a shower similar to this. We have actual "grab-bars" in the shower, also, but with her poor vision and failing mind she can't distinguish one from the other and has already pulled the shower slider out of the wall twice while trying to use it as a grab-bar. Thankfully, her attendant was with her each time and there was no injury.

If this particular manufacturer says it can be used as a "grab bar" (I didn't see it, and I would be surprised) please disregard above. Otherwise, please beware.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here