Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New kitchen faucet drips after shutoff, then stops

Posted by rekoil (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 22, 08 at 10:54

Hi,

We just installed a new kitchen sink and Hansgrohe faucet as part of our remodel. It's a single-lever control with a pull-down spray head.

We've noticed that after the water is shut off, the faucet drips (fast at first, then slower) for a short period of time after the valve is closed. While the drips do stop after about 15-20 seconds, I'd like to be sure that this isn't a defect or a sign of future failure. My wife just put a bowl underneath it to make sure there are no slow leaks, and we've seen about two drips in the past 15 minutes (immediately after a shutoff).

I will note that due to the pull-down spray, the water line between the control lever and the faucet head is quite long - about 3 feet. So there is quite a bit of water beyond the valve after water pressure is removed.

So should I be concerned here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New kitchen faucet drips after shutoff, then stops

To follow up, after about 90 minutes, it's apparent that there are no new drips from the faucet, so I think we don't have an ongoing leak to worry about. I am still concerned about the drips immediately after shutoff though - I'd like to know if this is something to be expected or not with the longer supply line between the shutoff valve and the faucet head.

o

Most likely its the water left in the line after shutoff. very typical. If it was continuous then I would be concerned

o

If you want to have peace of mind, you can contact the Manufacturer through the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hansgrohe Technical Assistance

o

I recently purchased a Grohe 33980 kitchen faucet and it drips about 7-9 times after shutoff. I asked Grohe people and they had no solution. Does anyone have a fix for this problem?

o

Any water above the level of the outlet in the faucet end is going to drip out after shutoff.

The same thing happens with most of the 'high arc' faucets.

The water is past the shut off valve and standing in the lines and hoses.

There is likely no practical way to prevent it.

o

Some pot fillers dripped as the range heated up. The water in the spout expanded as it got warmer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here