Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rekoil

New kitchen faucet drips after shutoff, then stops

rekoil
15 years ago

Hi,

We just installed a new kitchen sink and Hansgrohe faucet as part of our remodel. It's a single-lever control with a pull-down spray head.

We've noticed that after the water is shut off, the faucet drips (fast at first, then slower) for a short period of time after the valve is closed. While the drips do stop after about 15-20 seconds, I'd like to be sure that this isn't a defect or a sign of future failure. My wife just put a bowl underneath it to make sure there are no slow leaks, and we've seen about two drips in the past 15 minutes (immediately after a shutoff).

I will note that due to the pull-down spray, the water line between the control lever and the faucet head is quite long - about 3 feet. So there is quite a bit of water beyond the valve after water pressure is removed.

So should I be concerned here?

Comments (13)

• rekoil
    Original Author
    15 years ago

To follow up, after about 90 minutes, it's apparent that there are no new drips from the faucet, so I think we don't have an ongoing leak to worry about. I am still concerned about the drips immediately after shutoff though - I'd like to know if this is something to be expected or not with the longer supply line between the shutoff valve and the faucet head.

• stash-hdy
    15 years ago

Most likely its the water left in the line after shutoff. very typical. If it was continuous then I would be concerned

• dan_martyn
    15 years ago

If you want to have peace of mind, you can contact the Manufacturer through the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hansgrohe Technical Assistance

• Dale94502
    11 years ago

I recently purchased a Grohe 33980 kitchen faucet and it drips about 7-9 times after shutoff. I asked Grohe people and they had no solution. Does anyone have a fix for this problem?

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Any water above the level of the outlet in the faucet end is going to drip out after shutoff.

The same thing happens with most of the 'high arc' faucets.

The water is past the shut off valve and standing in the lines and hoses.

There is likely no practical way to prevent it.

• User
    5 years ago

I have the same issue with the high arc faucet I installed yesterday. My previous high arc faucet Price Pfister), did not have this issue. At first I thought it was the aerator letting air in which I figured would allow water to drip out.

I replaced the aerator of the new faucet with the old Price-Pfister aerator, with no luck.

I did notice the Price-Pfister faucet high-arc spout is about 2½-3 inches shorter than the spout of the new faucet.

I'm not a plumber, but my guess is, the taller spout is holding more water than the old spout. I'm thinking the aerator can't hold the extra water, due the the slight increased water pressure in the goose neck. Once the water drips out, typically 30-40 drips, the dripping stops.

Just a guess, however. I had pretty much the same results when I shut off the water with the aerator removed.

Anyhow, I'm not going to worry about it.

• Kate Smerbeck
    4 years ago

thanks for these postings..have a high arch faucet and plan to replace it, the noise from the drips goes on for 15 minutes or more...drives me nuts...

• cin c
    2 years ago

Hi I realise I am coming a bit late to this post but I' ll ask anyway.Got the same issue-dual lever kitchen tap with swan neck.Only cold water drips for a while after shut off.Thought it could be related to the sput neck holding it and wondering if a flat tap would the solve the problem?Also one plumber told me pull out taps are more at risk to cause dripping.Any advice please on both issues?thank!

• Harry Kopy
    2 years ago

I have a similar issue. Moen faucet with a high arc. The thing is that it didn't have the few drips after shut off until I changed out the o-ring and filter screen. I've taken it apart 3 times and put back together with no change. I don't understand why it didn't have the few "after drips" for the first 6 years?

• Samantha Winslow
    last year

Funny that you say that i also have a Moen kitchen faucet and its started dripping a drop after shuting it off. I had another plumbing issue yesterday and my water got shut off several times in the day so maybe the air in the line caused something?

• Jessica Swain
    last year

I also just got a Hansgrohe high arc faucet and was concerned about the dripping after shut off. Sounds like it’s a design flaw in these types of faucets, rather than a plumbing issue.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

It is critical that older shutoff valves be bled, particularly with touchless faucets, during installation. When the valve is tightened, it knocks crud off. When it's turned back on, the crud sticks in the touchless faucet solenoid, creating dripping.