Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Radiator Cover - Creativity needed!!

Posted by Jlahav (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 10, 11 at 10:46

Hi,
I remodeled my kitchen using a GC, and he failed to see that in the plans the double wall oven was right up against the wall of the radiator (we have steam radiators). The kitchen is now all finished and installed (custom cabinetry, new floors, new appliances), except for this heater. We were able to recess the area (it's an outside wall, and the plumbers pushed back as far as they can go), and fit in a slimline radiator. But now we don't know what to do about a cover.

The GC usually makes solid wood radiator covers, but he said we'd need a 1/2" at least between the fixture and the cover, and the cover needs to be at least 1/4" thick so as to prevent warping with the steam heat. I don't have that kind of clearance for the drawer that sits under the wall oven. I asked if metal would be better, and he said no.

Any ideas? I know nothing at all about plumbing, but when I think of a thin material that's highly heat resistant, I think of silicone. Any thoughts on what I can do (short of shaving the drawer front)?

TIA!!
Jacklyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Radiator Cover - Creativity needed!!

It's hard to visualize from your description. A picture or two would help.

o

I'm not getting a good picture from your description, however,
- steam radiators get hot and need adequate air circulation to keep from causing heat damage to surrounding materials
- to be effective in providing heat they need to have an adequate flow of room air to the bottom and from the top of the heater
- steam radiators need periodic maintenance to keep them operating properly, so adequate access to the service points is required

o

Here are a couple of pics. Sorry about the confusion.

J

https://picasaweb.google.com/jacklynlahav/RecentlyUpdated?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMP9jPaipoauwQE&feat=directlink

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Radiator Problem

o

Did one like this one time.....put a reflective metal on all sides, top and bottom to force the heat out into the room. Built a wooden frame with trim to match any trim in the room. filled the frame with a decorative grill that is available in either a silver or brass color at Home Depot. Or maybe the grill could be painted (not sure about that), but wooden frame was painted to match color of room. Make frame removable in whatever fashion you prefer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here