Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt_r_gw

PEX water supply

matt_r
17 years ago

Where does one actually buy PEX water supply tubing, connectors, tools, etc. I have not found it in the typical "box" stores. Is this typically found in plumbing supply stores?

Comments (14)

• lazypup
    17 years ago

PEX has not received code acceptance in all places. If you don't find it in your local big box stores it may not be code accepted in your region.

• patches123
    17 years ago

Yeah, that would make sense, as we have PEX at our big box stores and almost all NC in the area is PEX.

• oruboris
    17 years ago

What are the advantages to PEX over copper?

Will it last as long?

• jason1083
    17 years ago

there are pros and cons to PEX, both have been discussed on this forum before.
    PEX will last as long or longer than copper, but typically requires special crimp fittings installed with a special tool.

• lazypup
    17 years ago

Actually the cheapest and most widely used pipe for direct burial supply lines today is polyethelene pipe.

• demark
    17 years ago

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think any PEX product that requires crimp fittings is code approved.

The ones that can be installed to code use a compression sleeve, either metal or PEX.

- Tony

• lazypup
    17 years ago

Tony..
    You have the correct understanding of the function but you have the terms reversed.

A Compression fitting has a tapered section with a compression ferrule that is compressed against the pipe wall as the fitting compression nut is tightened.

A PEX fitting uses a "Crimp Ring" which is either metal or PEX material and which is set in place by means of an approved "PEX Crimping Tool" then the finished connection must be checked by means of an approved "Go-No Go Guage" to insure the crimp was properly set.

• demark
    17 years ago

Different PEX manufactures have different fitting methods.

Vanguard and Qest use crimp rings (with Go-NoGo gauges) - as far as I know, these are NOT code approved (*).

Wirsbo and Rehau use compression sleeves - these ARE approved (*). Rehau uses a stainless steel sleeve, whereas Wirsbo uses a PEX sleeve. This is not the same a compression fitting (which lazypup describes above).

Note: That Rehau, Wirsbo, and Vanguard use a type of compression like lazypup describes in their distribution manifolds ( http://www.vanguardpipe.com/mbloc.html ) . This IS code approved.

- Tony

(*) I am not sure about this statement, but when I say this, I mean that I don't think you can use the crimp-type fitting in an inaccessible location (ie - behind drywall) whereas compression "sleeve" types ARE allowed.

• mark_fleming
    17 years ago

I'm amazed that PEX is not code approved in some areas. That's the first I've heard of it, but I only got interested in it a few years ago. Both Home Depot and Lowes carry a good selection in my area, and it's improving daily. No sooner did I buy 100' of red 1/2" off the internet than Lowes begain carrying it in stock (for less $$). Lowes also carries a few more fittings than Home Depot, and carries all the fittings that you'll need for most plumbing applications.

I'll admit that I was a little uncomfortable with my first installation. I ran 3/8" PEX to a new kitchen sink. I used 3/8" because the sink was some distance from the hot water tank. 3/8" pipe contains 1/2 the water that 1/2" pipe carries, so the water gets hot twice as fast. Actually, faster. The PEX run snaked though knockouts in the engineered floor joists. I didn't have to drill a single hole (except up through the floor) and the direct run was 5 or 6 feet shorter than a run with straight pipe and elbows. PEX doesn't suck the heat out of the water like copper, so you get hot water faster. So, hot water in 1/4 the amount of time. And, since there were no elbows, it flows more efficiently and cost only the per foot cost of the PEX (about 30 cents per foot). No change in the amount of hot available, only amazement at how fast I get hot water.

The only thing weird was that it looked messy in comparison to a nice soldered copper pipe. Since it took 1/4 the time, cost 1/2 as much, and is hidden by drywall, I can live with that.

Buy your crimping tools from Ebay. They're about 1/2 the cost of box stores. If you're doing a big project, buy the fittings and rings there or off the internet, also. Use the box stores for the pipe or for fittings that you forgot. When you're done with your project, sell the tools and extra parts on Ebay or keep them for future projects.

Mark

• matt_r
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am still not sure how you get out of the wall to your sink? Can someone post a picture. I envision a red flexible hose coming out of a sheetrock hole flopping around under the pedestal sink. How do you to connect it to a sink valve? I am used to a nice solid chrome nipple coming out of the wall to suspend the valve.

• naturelle
    17 years ago

Matt, re the out of the wall details, look at the websites of the above manufacturer, or pick up broshures at the stores which handle the material. The pex connects to standard "hard" nipples and fittings etc.

Ted

• mark_fleming
    17 years ago

Matt,

They maker a PEX drop-ear just like for 1/2" copper. It allows you to crimp PEX on and change to 1/2" male copper to go out through the drywall. It gives a sturdier transition than is needed in most cases and is used, in part, by those who are still unconvinced that PEX can do everything copper can and more.

Think about it. How much force is actually put on the through-wall connection for the toilet fill? If plastic PEX came through the wall, an escuchian, and was crimped onto the shut-off valve, would it matter? Likewise to under sink connections.

Do a search for PEX fittings on Google. Several of the internet sites have great closeup pictures of the available fittings. I just purchased some Oatley PEX wall insets for my lav and kitchen sinks. Crimp the PEX to the hot and cold shutoffs, run the drain through the opening, and Bob's your uncle. I fastened mine to a block between the studs, but some just fasten the inset to the drywall. Washing machine insets are also available.

Mark

• matt_r
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Regarding sink valves..I was doing much internet searches and found pictures of parts. I saw the sink valves with the pex connection ends. How much of a radius can 1/2" PEX actually make, ie...a PEX pipe runs through a 2X4 wall and needs to make a 90 degree turn to get out of the drywall to connect to a valve. Is this OK?

• nianshao
    10 years ago

Dear Matt,

Good Day. Thanks for reading my email.
    Glad to know you are in the market for pipe and piping fittings.
    We have been in this field for 10 years.We produce:
    PP,PVC,PE pipe and fitting
    brass fittings,valves,collectors and coupling for PEX,PERT,PEX-AL-PEX pipe
    brass inserts for PPR fitting
    manifolds and some other brass accessories.
    I give you the high quality with best price.

E-catalog will be provided if needed.
    Email me or just call me directly. Thank you!

Best wishes.
    Tony

Sure Union International Ltd.
    Address:Room 1006,Huihao building(east tower),519 Machang Road,Guangzhou,China
    Tel:+86-20-38858545 Fax:+86-20-38858773
    Mobile:+86-18613053980 Email: sureuniontony@gmail.com

Here is a link that might be useful: pipe fitting