Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas Water Heater - Convert to Manually Lighting?

Posted by stevezang (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 8:11

I lost power and wanted to manually fire up my gas water heater as we still had running water but the bradford white model we had does not allow for it (electrical ignition and had instructions saying "do not attempt to manually light") Is it possible to change the water heater to allow for manually ignition or will I have to buy a new water heater? What are the benefits for having electrical ignition?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas Water Heater - Convert to Manually Lighting?

Call Bradford White customer service and ask THEM.

They have a toll free number and speak English.

Have the model # of your WH handy.

o

"What are the benefits for having electrical ignition?"

Is this just a standard water heater with a central flue or is there a controlled draft? No pilot means less gas consumption at minimum. If there is controlled draft, more efficiency. If there is controlled draft you probably are not going to fire it up safely without electricity.

o

"What are the benefits for having electrical ignition?"

No hot water if you do not have power.

It should shorten showers considerably.

The pilot is not enough gas to worry about, and the efficiency (or lack) is mainly driven by the (poor) heat exchangers in the typical tank unit.
A spiral of sheet metal up the in tank flue line.

o

I would be willing to bet it's a power vent model. No power would mean the exhaust gases would leak back into the house. Very dangerous.

A power vent will have a plastic exhaust vent, and an electric fan unit on top of the heater. If it's really a b-vent type, with a metal 'chimney' with an upside down funnel arrangement at the bottom above the heater, it could run without power provided you can solve the ignition issue.

Of course, modifying such a unit may not be permissible under codes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here