Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Still need help with a floor leak in 1945 pier and beam home! hel

Posted by southern_texan (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 7, 10 at 8:09

I have a home built in 1945. I am desperate for help.Just joined this site yesterday. I have a leak in my floor soiling the carpet in my dini8ng room, just at the entrance way from my kitchen. I have pier and beam foundation, yet the crawl space......(that has an entrance from one of my hall closets)is quite small.........You must crawl on your belly under my home and numerous beams block a significant pathway. I have lived here one year. My inspector found nothing wrong with the plumbing. Since buying my home (it sat empty for 4 years.I have had roto rooter out 4 times.....for roots in the underground pipes..ie backed up tubs and sinks) I seem to have that under control. NOW I have a leak of water coming up from the floor in my dining room. There are vents on the lower outside portion of my home I can look into with a flashlight... Crawling on my belly under my home seems almost impossible because the room to crawl is minimal. DO I NEED to rip up my floor to access the leak? We are talking original hardwood here........My hands are tied, Limited income etc. Plus I am a woman... Know nothing about these things. I need good advice.............THANKS in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Still need help with a floor leak in 1945 pier and beam home!

Nobody here can stand there and look at it. But I would say this: water does not leak upwards. It leaks downwards. Is the kitchen nearby? Is there a fridge on that wall with an icemaker hookup(saddle valve leaking)? Do you have an AC unit in the attic or upstairs (condensate leak)?

o

I have to agree with weedmeister that it is probably coming across or down rather than up. However, I did have a similar leak in a very old rental that turned out to be a pinhole leak in a pipe under the floor. The hole was on the top of the pipe and it was spraying up onto the bottom of the floor. Unfortunately, if you do rule out water coming across or down, the best way to find and fix the problem is for someone to crawl under. Tearing up the floor is last resort if it can't be fixed from underneath, but I would make every effort to fix it from underneath.

o

I responded to another post on this issue on this forum...Does the leak seem to be coming from the kitchen sink? Does it seem to only get wet when when you run water in the kitchen? Did you look under the sink to see if there is anything leaking under there?--The Captain

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here