Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repairing PVC sanitary tee?

Posted by jamesfjamesf (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 7:35

I know the right answer. Im just curious if I can avoid the hell it will be :-)

While trying to remove the toilet flange so I could put down another layer of subfloor, I reefed on it too hard and cracked the downstream double sanitary tee with side inlet. It's not broken off, so theoretically I'm able to peel it back, prime & glue the crack, and not have to tear the whole thing apart.

Wondering if this is a common repair, absolute insanity, etc. I'll attach a pic. It's the right side hub, cracked where it meets the side inlet hub. Hard to see the crack in the pic but it's a good 270 degrees around. It's the line that doesn't make the 90 degree turn to the eft, that's a casting line.

thanks,
jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repairing PVC sanitary tee?

I'm sure there will be some ppl chime in with everything from PVC glue & JB weld to bubble gum but in truth there is no reliable & permant solution other than to remove the broken fitting & replace it.

o
RE: Repairing PVC sanitary tee?

In a similar vein, I once tried to glue a vent pipe into a partially sawed off hub w/ PVC cement. That didn't even work. Best thing that happened is that it failed immediately while I was there.

It will probably be easier on the mind once you finally decide to bite the bullet and redo it. Hopefully you have access.

That being said, I do wonder what a few wraps of fiberglass w/ resin would do for PVC on top of a jb weld repair and some bubble gum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here