Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the best kind of bathtub waste/overflow? Please help!

Posted by staceyneil (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 9, 10 at 7:17

We're putting a new tub/shower in. It will be used primarily by a teenage girl for showers and tub soaking. We saw that American Standard has a "Deep Soak" drain (#1640.305) that adds 2" water depth by relocating the overflow to the top of the overflow hole (this drain is marketed as being appropriate for the tub, an A.S. Princeton). She likes that idea (as do I, otherwise she'll use MY bathtub!); however, I wonder about the quality and design of the drain. It's a "toe-tapper" kind, and both the drain cover and overflow cover are chrome-plated plastic.

Do you think this will be fine, or should I look at one with metal parts?

Are the lever or cable types better when it comes to longevity?

How about hair clogs? She has long hair. Seems like lever type, with a grid, would be better for that than the toe-tapper kind.

I hate to spend big bucks ($80 for the one I'm considering) if it's a piece of junk--- but if it's fine, she'd appreciate the extra water depth.

What do you guys recommend?

This is the A.S. "Deep Soak" drain:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the best kind of bathtub waste/overflow? Please help!

As a home improvement guy (but not a pro plumber), I wouldn't encourage a water level higher than the tub's opening for the overflow since water could get past the gasket and behind the wall if there's any break in the seal. I had a job where the kitchen ceiling got damaged below because of that.

As for drain types, pop-ups don't catch the hair and one has to unscrew them every so often and get the hair out. You'd be better off with one like this:

http://www.faucetdepot.com/prod/41-818-91-Gerber-Tub-Waste-and-Overflow-in-Chrome-9894.asp

o
RE: What is the best kind of bathtub waste/overflow? Please help!

Thanks, homebound. That one does look sturdy!
We DO have total access to this drain from below (unfinished basement) so a leak would not be too hard to fix, hmmm...... maybe not worth the risk though?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here