Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
water filtration system

Posted by tim2807 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 9, 10 at 6:48

I recently had a Kinetico water softener, dechlorinator, and drinking water station (K5)installed. My question - do I really need the water station filtration since the softener and dechlorinator seem to address the lousy water taste/smell in Clearwater, FL? I have tried the water from the station spigot and from the regular sink faucet and both virtually taste/smell the same. I have a few more days left on my trial period so I would appreciate all input. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: water filtration system

The K5 is a reverse osmosis sytem. The quality of water difference will be significant. Tastes are a matter of taste. But softened water, even with a dechlorinator, will contain dissolved solids (TDS) but the RO will remove those TDS to a great degree. A TDS meter will be able tell the difference even if taste is not.

The sales staff should have pointed that out to you.

What model softener did you have installed? What kind of 'trial period' did they give you?

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

o
RE: water filtration system

Your supplier will have a TDS meter with them. They can demonstrate this to you in seconds and explain the benefits. Surprised they didn't do that in the beginning. Agree taste is different for everyone.

I have the same units you do. I don't like the taste of soft water. The K5 fixes that for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here