Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can a Water Heater Handle this?

Posted by yoyoma (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 18, 10 at 2:18

I have a 40 gallon gas water heater manufactured in 2004. I can fill up a regular 5 foot long bathtub with hot water no problem. However, if someone decides to take a shower in 30 minutes, the water coming out is lukewarm at best.

My question is whether such a water heater should be able to handle taking a shower relatively soon after filling up a bathtub, or do I need to wait more? Thanks for the info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can a Water Heater Handle this?

"My question is whether such a water heater should be able to handle taking a shower relatively soon after filling up a bathtub, or do I need to wait more? "

This depends entirely on the heaters recovery rate, a direct function of the burner output (in BTU/hour).

o
RE: Can a Water Heater Handle this?

Yea, you've nearly drained the 40G WH with the bath. Now the cold water is filling up the WH and the WH is burning gas to heat 40G. 30min of burning gas and you get luke warm. Imagine this (simplistic): you put a 40gal pot on your stove -- how long will it take to get to 120 degrees?

I went through this dance for 17yrs until 2 weeks ago and replaced my 40G gas WH with a tankless Navien NR-210A gas WH. Now I can fill up 2 x regular 5 foot long bathtubs and take a shower (same time) ... or, fill them and then take a shower immediately.

If you do take the plunge, do it before 31DEC2010 for the (up to) $1500.00 federal tax credit (then check with your state for another rebate/credit).

Here is a link that might be useful: Federal Tax Credits for Consumer Energy Efficiency

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here