Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Softener media choices

Posted by just1rider450 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 2:16

Hello,

I have a house I just purchased in Anaheim, CA 92807. I am a residential plumber and will be going to install a softener and carbon system from my city water supply. For the next two years my house will just be my wife and I, (2 people) with moderate to high use (75-90 gal per person, per day). In two years we will be having a kid in the mix and another a couple years later.

I plan to use a Fleck 7000sxt head.

I have a few things I would like help with.

1. I was wondering if there is a way to build a softener to meet my variable needs by starting with a large tank now and a lower resin amount ( say 1 cf) and proper programing and add/change resin as the demand increases.

2. What type of carbon should i use? standard activated carbon or go with something a little more chlorine resistant like a kdf-55.

3. I am off city water (hardness of 22), but don't know the levels of chlorine at my house yet. I have a water quality report from the city (generic), but dont know how to read it. Any recommendations on a good tester for chlorine?

I plan to use a Fleck 7000sxt head

I am open to all comments and suggestions. Keep in mind I am a plumber, so all labor cost are nothing to be concerned with as I will be doing all installation and maintenance.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Softener media choices

If you don't know how to read your city's water report, post it or post a link to it.

75-90 gallons per person per day is high water use, well above the average of 60. Is this a guess or actual usage? Does it include outdoor water use? Softened water should be plumbed for indoor use only to avoid high salt usage and potential damage to lawn and plants.

Now to your questions:

1. The way to account for variable needs is to purchase the size you will need, sized for 4 people and then allow the softener to go longer between regens initially - it will regulate itself. Regen time will shorten as you use more water.
  2. Just use a standard GAC. For residential applications the additional expense for the KDF-55 will not work out in the cost/benefit analysis.
  3. Post the report or a link to it and go off the city's numbers. You have to plan for maximum chlorine.

Additionally, you need to know: pH, TDS, particulates, sulfates, odor, color. Any other complaints about your water?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here