Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Main sewer line

Posted by june58 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 25, 11 at 23:37

My main sewer line has become restricted with a hard build-up. I had a plumber run a camera through it. They want to dig up a 3x4 area of my yard to get to the pipe. This will cost at least $3000.00

Can`t this be done from the clean out in the basement? Could I rent a machine to do this myself ? If so what happens to th gunk thats inside the pipe ? I really can`t afford this right now. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Main sewer line

I'd rent a power snake, access the main drain from the basement clean-out, and extend it from there to the sewer connection.
By using the right size snake and cutter head and running it in and out slowly multiple times, you should end up with a much better flowing drain. Having a tub faucet on, and the tub drain unplugged, while doing this should provide enough flow to rinse the debris to the sewer. (If you have a septic tank, it will go there and wait for the tank to be pumped out.)

o

Call your local drain cleaning companies and see if any of them do hydroblasting.

They run a high pressure hose in the drain that has a special head to pressure wash the line. It is the most effective way to get caked buildup gunk off out of the line.

o

You should also be aware that buildups are often at a 'belly' in the line (a dip) where it does not drain completely.

The solids settle out and can eventually harden to block the line.

Even if you clear the line, if it has a belly the problem will return

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here