Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas valve info?

Posted by ms01634 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 26, 10 at 23:29

Different type of question. My mother-in-law is in early alzheimers. We want to set her up with a caretaker to do cooking, cleaning, etc. Right now we have shut the gas off to her stove for safety reasons. Im wondering if there is some type of locking gas valve that a caretaker can access to cook, and lock again when done. I know I can raise the valve higher behind the stove but my mother-in-law will be able to turn it on also. I thought about a second valve, but I would have to break through the wall into the garage and place it there, but I think that is against fire code. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas valve info?

It would not be against code to put a shut-off in the garage, in my jurisdiction. I have never heard of, or seen a locking gas shut-off. If you have a ball-valve, can you drill a hole in the end of the handle to some-how lock it to an eyelet screwed into the wall? You cannot lock it in the open position, but you can in the closed position. If it is a ball-valve, you can take the handle off when it is closed.

o

There is also an electric solenoid valve you could put on. All you need is a switch to turn it on or off.

o

The handle usually comes off a gas valve with a small screw. Remove the handle and give it to the caretaker. She can take it with her or hide it from your mother. She should be able to use the handle without the screw to turn on the gas.
If the stove has standing pilots turn them off and use a sparker to ignite the burners.

o

Thanks. I think I may go with Joed's idea. Its very simple, yet effective. I just have to be sure my mother-in-law doesn't know. She always was a worker, and turning it on without the knob is not beyond her capabilities. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here