Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
criticalmass048

Help settle a dishwasher dispute

criticalmass048
11 years ago

So until about a year ago, we had a "portable" dish washer, meaning the type on wheels that you could simply attach to the end out a kitchen faucet when needed.

Well, last year, I remodeled the kitchen, and installed a standard under-counter dishwasher with its own electrical circuit.

So here's the problem: My wife fills up the sink with hot water and dishwashing liquid to soak pots and pans. She then puts a load of dishes in the dishwasher and starts it up. She comes back an hour later, and the sink is empty, and all the water has drained out.

I told her this is logical, because when the pump of the dishwasher kicks on to drain, the air causes the rubber stopper in the sink to pop up, thereby allowing all the water to leak out.

She said this is a crock, because she asked other women at work, and nobody else seems to have a problem of soaking dishes in the sink while running the dishwasher, so therefore I installed it wrong.

Since I'm a man who admits there's a .037% chance I could have done something wrong, I figured I'd check it out.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (5)