Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texnan10

water softener questions

texnan10
9 years ago

I am looking for information to help me choose a water softener. I live in a small town and the water softeners available in my area are Morrison Exstream and Water Right. Does anyone on this forum have experience with either of these brands?

Also, I read that if I install a whole house water filter before the water enters the softener, it will help preserve the beads. If I do that, do I need to be concerned that my drinking water will contain bacteria since it has to move through 30 year old pipes with no chlorine?

Thanks.

Comments (11)

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Why the duplicate posts?

• ElizabethCampos
    9 years ago

Water softner is very useful to remove the calcium, magnesium and other certain other metal cations in hard water. Water softner is very useful for the place where water is come from the sea and hard. I am not familiar with this different types of brands of water softner.

Here is a link that might be useful: septic system parts

• User
    9 years ago

Ms. Campos, are you, by chance, familiar with spam?

• texnan10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This was the first time I submitted a question on this forum and when I clicked submit on the first attempt, my computer froze so I did not think the question went through. So I posted again. I could not find a way to delete one...no spam, just inexperience.

• User
    9 years ago

dbx - Spam was in reference to the idiot that posted the septic system parts link, not you.

As to your questions:

I am not a fan of Water Right. They use proprietary (expensive) parts and they tend to sell systems that combine softening resin with carbon, which is just not a good idea.

The exStream is not one that I have personal experience with. They use Logix controllers, which do not offer the degree of control I like. They aren't bad controllers, but not as good as Fleck.

It is certainly worthwhile to have them both come out and make a recommendation. Once you have quotes, I can help evaluate them if you would like. In either case, you want to have a complete picture of what your water looks like. Get a copy of your city's water report - get several so that you can see if your water has changed over time.

With chlorine in your water, you have two reasonable choices. You can removed the chlorine and use a standard quality resin, or you can leave the chlorine and use a resin with higher crosslinking that will better withstand the chlorine. I recommend going with the second option for two reasons: 1) You will maintain some protection from bacterial contamination, 2) Only one piece of equipment to purchase and maintain.

• User
    9 years ago

Check around and see if there is a local independent water treatment pro. They won't be selling a brand name softener. They'll be selling an industry standard softener.

Reviewing the Water Right service literature it appears that they are using a Clack WS based valve and not Logix.

The only info I can find on the Exstream seems to indicate that they use a Logix based valve. While not my favorite they are a competent valve.

Since you're in an area with limited choices research the service reputation of the two companies. You're better of with a less flexible valve if you get timely and reasonable cost service than a more flexible valve (which you may not need) and get poor service.

You might check around with neighbors. They might tell you who is good and who is not.

• texnan10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After more checking, I found another local dealer that sells CSI water softeners (csih20.com). The advantage would be closer proximity to service. Does anyone have experience with this brand?

The CSI rep told me that they make their own valve that is a cross between Fleck and Clack. It has a seven year warranty. It is available with either vortec or gravel bed.

I did a home water test that shows these results to be high:
    total hardness- 200 ppm
    total alkalinity- 240 ppm
    ph- 9
    nitrates- 17 ppm
    copper- 3 ppm
    chlorine- .75 ppm

The test probably was not that accurate, but it is a start. Further testing is probably needed.

I appreciate any input.

• User
    9 years ago

Are you on a well or municipal water system?

csih20.com doesn't seem to provide much info on what they sell and that's warning #1.

A valve that's a cross between a Clack and a Fleck sounds like a pacific rim knockoff and that's warning #2.

A proprietary control valve means proprietary parts and that usually disappoints down the road and means you're married to them for parts and service. Not so bad if they were a big dog like Kinetico or Culligan cause they're not going anywhere and that's warning #3

Shop on dbx123... BTW, I have fond memories of a DBX128 from many years ago... if your dbx is the same meaning.

• sager66
    9 years ago

Mechanical timer Fleck 2510 has been in service for around 15 years. Shower water turned "hard" recently because unit was not drawing brine during regeneration. With YouTube video guidance, and by process of elimination, ordered new piston, seals, spacers, and insertion tool for around $100 and repaired the unit myself. Coarse salt from the supermarket works fine and costs around $4.00 for a 40 pound bag. Time dial is set 12 hours opposite of actual time so it regenerates around noon instead of midnight.

This post was edited by sager66 on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 22:52

• texnan10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, I have shopped some more and found another option for my area.

How about the Aqua Pure CWS150ME?

I have city water and 2 1/2 bathrooms (two showers and one bubble jet tub).

• User
    9 years ago

Aqua Pure CWS150ME looks like they use a Clack valve and that's GOOD. If the rest of the components are first quality all you need to do is correctly size the softener for your water conditions, water usage, and SFR of the plumbing.