Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taverty

Ejector Pump Venting

taverty
10 years ago

I purchased my home new in 2004. It was roughed in for a full bath in the basement when it was built. I'm on septic so the basement has an ejector pit. The rough in and ejector pit was there for the plumbing inspection on the house.

I'm concerned about how the venting was done on the ejector pit. Here's the setup that was supposedly approved by the county in 2004: (Which is Montgomery County MD)

The pump line is 2" and the vent line is 2" for about 5' then it gets coupled down to a 1-1/2 pipe. Then it ties into the same 1-1/2" vent line that is serving the basement full bathroom in the ceiling joists. This vent then goes up into the floor and I can't see it since it's in the walls of the first floor.

I'm worried because I was reading the ejector pump install docs and I started reading online that the ejector pit should have a dedicated vent line all the way to the roof. On top of all this, it seems that the dedicated vent line should be 2" all the way, not 2" then downsized to 1-1/2".

How the heck did this pass inspection?! Is there a case where this setup is a valid ejector pit installation?

I talked to a plumber about it, and his response was if it passed then it should be fine. But I really don't want siphoning traps and problems after I finish the basement.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

I think that your understanding of the specifications is correct. And the installation as described does not meet
    those specifications.
    Follow your own conscience. For a bathroom ejector, the pump will be moving only a few gallons per cycle. The toilet uses less than 2 gallons per flush, for example. And shower heads are now low flow.
    Imagine that the specifications were possibly written to accommodate a laundromat with multiple washers-- possible huge sustained pumping load.
    My opinion is that the installation you have will work fine for your application.
    My opinion is that if you mention it to an inspector, all will have to be changed to comply with the code and/or manufacturer's specifications, whichever are the most stringent.
    So that is the picture as I see it. Being very quiet keeps your options open-- blabbing eliminates most of your options.

• manhattan42
    10 years ago

I disagree with bus_driver.

First, Having an sewer ejector pit 'roughed in' for 'future use' without an actual sewer ejector being specified and installed at that time could have and should have been approved by the plumbing inspectors if it met code in 2004 and if the rough plumbing was done according to the approved construction plans.

Second, there are two different types of sewer ejectors:
    A) Mechanical Ejectors and B) Pneumatic Ejectors.

The 1st type, mechanical sewer ejectors, usually only require a 1 1/2" vent pipe, and this vent can be connected to the plumbing vent system for the building without going directly through the roof.

The second type, pneumatic sewer ejectors, usually require 2" vents that must be vented directly to outside air.

That said, whatever type sewer ejector you are now trying to install must be installed to current codes and to the manufacturer's installation instructions.

Seems to me your current ejector is not compatible with the existing vent system, so you have two options:

1) Install an ejector (mechanical type) that is compatible or
    2) Install the venting required for your apparently current (and possibly pneumatic) type.

• manhattan42
    10 years ago

PS:

You probably need permits to install whatever ejector system you wish to install, so contact your local code office for details and guidance.

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

Have not looked recently, but the IPC specifes 2" and 2" without regard to the pump type or capacity-- if memory serves correctly. Your code may be different. Most codes also require that any included manufacturers instructions must be followed as those were considered in any certifications such as UL CSA, ASTM, etc.
    So factor that into what I posted earlier.

• manhattan42
    10 years ago

Agree,

And for the record I was not trying to poke you in the eye with my comments, bus_driver.

Maryland uses the Uniform Plumbing Code if I remember correctly.

I am under the International Plumbing Code.

Whether local plumbing code or the manufacturer's installation instructions apply normally depends upon which requirement is the more 'strict'.

That said, there is usually a difference in venting between mechanical and pneumatic type ejectors, with pneumatic ejectors needing to have direct venting since they, unlike mechanical types, discharge under pressure.

Bottom line is:

Contact your local plumbing code office for real guidance.

My opinion continues to be that the rough in plumbing was correct and should have been approved at the time of installation.

The original poster either needs to install a sewer ejector that can use the existing vent system or install a new vent system compatible with the type ejector he chose to install.

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

To understand my perspective, I lived part of my childhood without electricity or plumbing. We were so glad when we scraped up enough money to get those. Only electrical inspections were required and the inspector did those seated on the swing on his front porch. Fast forward-- three times in my experience as an electrician (one of my careers), an unknowing inspector has held up my job because of his ignorance-- causing my customer to doubt me and my ability- and causing me several lost hours and many extra miles of driving. In the end, my work was passed as it was done originally. In two of the cases the delay was 8 days. Found two inspectors in the same department who interpreted the same code section exactly opposite from each other - one of them was correct. And that is just a few of the instances.
    So I am now gunshy and avoid inspectors as much as possible. But I do the best installations of which I am capable.
    In the early days we had two plumbers in our area-- one was an alcoholic and did such things as supplying commodes from the hot water line. The other one had an unlisted phone number. We just did most of our own out of necessity.

• taverty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all of the input.

I was unfortunately looking at the wrong documentation online. I have the Zoeller 267 pump. It makes no mention of venting requirements, just that it have one when installed in sewage situations. It even states it can have a 1-1/2" output.

So it looks like this pump is compatible.

I'll double check with another licensed plumber just to confirm.

Thanks again!