Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golfergirl29

Need advice on Toto vs Kohler toilets, please!

golfergirl29
9 years ago

I'm confused. I've read that the Toto Ultramax II and Drake II are outstanding toilets. (The Terry Love website strongly recommends Toto.) The plumbing person our builder sent us to wants to sell he Kohler Santa Rosa as an alternative to the Ultramax. The MAP lists both the Santa Rosa and Drake at 1000, but the Ultramax at only 500. How can a toilet that has such great reviews have much lower numbers on Map? (We are looking for comfort height, one piece, with good flushing. Easy cleaning would be a plus. The sales rep was down playing Sanagloss since Kohler didn't have it.) We don't want to waste money, but we sure don't want to have plumbing problems! Please help me understand!

Comments (14)

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

I looked at the Ultramax II on the MAP web site, and it was 500 or 800, depending on model, which is 1.1-1.8 pounds of waste in one flush. The MAP numbers are interesting, but, unless your family members are producing large volumes of waste, it's sort of theoretical.

In terms of real world performance, I have had 3 Ultramax toilets for almost 10 years. In that time I did have one clog: someone who shall go nameless tried to flush a wooden popsicle stick down one of them; the stick was the perfect size to get jammed sideways in the trap until I was able to remove it with my shop vac.

Trust me: in the last ten years I've given these Toto toilets some extreme testing, but they're won each time. It's good to do some research on candidate toilets, but it's also possible to be too anal about it (sorry...I couldn't resist!).

I love my Toto toilets and I don't need to try to get better than perfect. Having a different toilet that can theoretically flush twice as much waste is nice, but to me it's a non-issue. The Kohler MAP numbers sound impressive, but whether the toilets actually work as flawlessly as the Totos is for someone else to answer.

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

We talked to several plumbers who said they like to install Toto because they never get callbacks on them. Kohler is probably very good too, but we went with the Totos and have had no problems, but its only been 2-1/2 years. Our previous house had Kohlers and after a decade the flapper valves occasionally leaked, but otherwise no issues.

• golfergirl29
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to you all. I feel better offsetting the apparently lower numbers in MAP with the real world experience. Looks like Toto will be making another sale!

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

I think you will be happy with your choice.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

I like my Totos and suspect that you would be pleased with either brand. American Standard probably would be my #2 pick after the Toto.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I never heart of a Toto toilet but I need to look into this as I need to replace three toilets that are over 24 years old. My bathrooms sinks, tubs and American Standard toilets are a bone/Navajo White type of color. I wish I could change everything to white but that would be too much work to change everything. I wonder what colors they come in?

• billy_g
    9 years ago

The Toto toilets are great -- we are very happy we had them installed.

All I can say is you want to get the Sanagloss. With low flow toilets you will be glad you did....

Billy

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Lynn-
    Easy to find out...

Here is a link that might be useful: Toto

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Thank you Billy! Thank you Judzu9! I think the Sedona Beige is close to the color I have now. Now I need to find a good plumber.

Which is better the round seat or the elongated seat. For me, I am very petite so it looks like the shorter seat is better but maybe for resale it is better to get the elongated seat?

• golfergirl29
    Original Author
    9 years ago

will definitely get the Sanagloss...

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

NEVER buy round seats.

(we men don't like our weenies hitting the front edge of cold and potentially nasty porcelain)

'nuff said

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Thank you pprioroh for your input. I guess I was thinking that the round seats would take up less room in the bathrooms but I was forgetting about me maybe preferring the long seats. :)

Does anyone on this forum still prefer the round seats despite me hating them?

• woodbutcher_ca
    9 years ago

Hi, I have Toto and a Kohler. The Toto flushes better and is easier to work that a Kohler. I like the elongated one but make sure you have room for one , swing doors or cabinets. You may also want to think about a taller bowl, easier to get on and off of.
    Woodbutcher