Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reliable RO water filtration system

Posted by Edy123 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 20:40

Hi,
I am evaluating a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system for my kitchen; primary goal is to filter lead and extra sodium added by water softener.

Felt RO system of Kinetico is overpriced and there are much cheaper options in the market. Wanted to know which RO system I should consider. Any thoughts?

On a different note, I am planning for a Kinetico water softening system 2030S with addition of chlorine filter. Will the Chlorine filter be an overkill if I have RO?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reliable RO water filtration system

When looking for an RO, look for one that uses standard filters. Proprietary = way more money every time you have to replace the filters. The RO filter itself can last many years on softened water, but the pre and post filters should be replaced every six months.

If you have chlorine in your water, removing it is a good thing for your RO filter - it will last longer. Chlorine can attack the filter membrane.

o
RE: Reliable RO water filtration system

Let me backpedal just a titch on that last comment (long day, little sleep). Your RO system should have a prefilter that is GAC - that prefilter will remove chlorine. If your chlorine levels are excessively high (if you live close to the water treatment plant, for instance) then you may have to replace the prefilter more often to provide protection for your membrane.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here