Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyscott3

Puzzling leak from toilet tank

andyscott
9 years ago

I have an American Standard toilet tank, about 15 years old that started a slow leak in the area where the supply line is connected to the fill valve. Have never had any problem with this toilet in 15 years.

Here's what I have done so far to stop the leak:

1. Replaced the supply line, because it was 15 years old.
2. Tried 3 different washers in place of the washer that is at the bottom of the fill valve.

What is puzzling is the tank does NOT leak even if it is full, so long as I have shut off the water supply valve (near the floor). The moment I start the water supply, water drops appear around the lock nut (for the fill valve) below the tank, and the leak does not stop until I shut off the water supply.

Visually, I cannot see any hairline cracks around the hole in the tank where the fill valve sits, neither are there any cracks in the plastic fill valve threads etc. I even tried adding blue color to the water to see if it would help identify a tiny crack.

My last attempt to stop this leak will be to smear a little 100% Silicone below the washer. Before I do that, can someone tell me if I've missed something obvious? Thanks!

Comments (9)