Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did plumber rip us off?

Posted by clarann (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 8, 11 at 19:21

My sister is a senior citizen. About a yr ago, she had a plumber come out for a repair. While he was there, he talked her into paying $39 for a service contract. He said if she needed him to come out in the future (2yrs) she wouldn't pay a service call fee, just for the repair. She said okay.

Over the next year, she didn't need to call him. So he calls her and says "you paid for a service contract, so I could come out and make sure everything is working properly."

She said okay and remembered that the handle on her toilet was sticking, so she might as well get that fixed. While he was "checking" everything, he said the bolts on the toilet tank were rusting and it's only a matter of time before they leak and she gets a flood. So she said okay, fix that. He took the tank off and replaced the bolts.

Her bill for all that - $400.

Is that reasonable? Does anyone know what that type of repair would typically cost?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did plumber rip us off?

I would report him so fast it would make your head spin.

o

Not there. Can't tell. However, if the diagnosis and repair were anywhere close to typical, not reasonable. I strongly suspect she got ripped.

o

You can buy a whole new toilet at Lowe's for $200.00, and barring any unexpected issues a real plumber would have the old one out and the new one in within an hour.

But the real point is- toilet bolts are usually rusty, and they usually don't cause big issues. He scared her by using the word "flood" (if he did indeed) when in fact they would leak modestly for a long time before causing a flood. And then he charged her $400.00 for a job that didn't need doing, is my guess.

The $39.00 "service contract" is a dodge to gain entry. He took advantage of her age and ignorance to make money off of her.

Like asolo said, "Not there. Can't tell." But like him, I strongly suspect she got ripped. He owes her $350.00, call it $345.00 allowing $5.00 for new bolts, since she wasn't supposed to get charged for the service call under the terms of the original contract.

Not a plumber and definitely biased, but that's my take. YMMV.

Mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here