Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to use besides Plumber's Putty when installing faucet?

Posted by transitional (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 21, 10 at 18:55

I've heard that plumber's putty can cause discoloration in the granite. So what do you use besides plumber's putty. Does an O-ring suffice? We are attempting to install our Kohler Karbon faucet.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to use besides Plumber's Putty when installing faucet?

Not a plumber by trade but I think silicone is used on granite. You're correct about NOT USING plumbers putty.

Best of luck with the project, rredogg

o

Thanks! I have a few more questions if you don't mind. (The HD staff were cluelesss - said it was ok to use putty when it clearly says not to on the label) I have Spicey Black Honed Granite, will the silicone caulk be concealed under the faucet or should it go around the outside?

I'm worried that the silicone will look shiney if it is to go around the outside...

Thanks for all of your help!

o

If your faucet came with a base for a single hole that has an O-ring underneath, I believe it is used instead of putty. Call the manufacturer to confirm or not.

Sometimes two mounting options are provided in the box, a wide one that uses the putty, and a single hole one that has the O-ring. As least that's what I observed on one kit I installed, but I don't recall the manufacturer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here