Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohmmm_gw

We Don't Need No Floor Joists

ohmmm_gw
9 years ago

One thing I always hate about projects, is that they always seem to uncover a future Holmes on Homes project.

See photos below.

In this case I was busy rooting around in the utility room of the basement in my bi level, trying to see if I could find a path for some electrical cable up amongst the craziness cables, pipes, vents and phone line.

Low and behold I see Mr Carpenter, back in '77 decided to double up a floor joist under the tub to allow for the extra weight. No problem. Mr Carpenter runs the joists right down the center of the tub line. Hmm...don't have a good feeling about that....

Along comes Mr Plumber. Well what the hey, that there wood is in the way. Get me the sawzall and I will cut that 2x10 right out so I can get my pvc in there. Don't worry, we will reinforce it by sticking 2x4s underneath and across to the next joist. Ya got all dem other joists down here holding things up anyways.

Sighhh...some days I should just go fishing...and stay there.

Not sure how to correct this kluge other than sticking a couple of jack posts under each side.

And to add to my joy, the lower bath with shower on the other side of that wall, has a vent fan, that conveniently vents into the floor joist cavity. No sense trying to run it outside. That would be too much work.

Where's my tackle box...

The tub is a lightweight fiberglass unit thankfully. The remaining joist has only about 6 inches left thanks to them notching that one with a chisel.

The tub is a lightweight fiberglass unit thankfully. The remaining joist has only about 6 inches left thanks to them notching that one with a chisel.

Comments (3)