Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennysjetta

What main sewer pipe to choose and what slope is OK?

jennysjetta
14 years ago

After umpteen estimates I'm still trying to figure out an affordbale way to get tied into the sewer.

My latest estimate for a gravity run calls for 250 feet of 4" SDR-35 pipe sloped at 1/4" per foot ($10,000). Unfortunately, based on the county's measurements, this will put us below our tie-in point. The county said using 1/8" per foot drop would work but the contractor doesn't think that's enough slope for a long run. The run is J-shaped with the long straight part of the J being about 180 feet. Otherwise we have to use a pump. Am I asking for trouble with the lesser slope on a long, straight run? Any other alternatives?

Also, is one type of pipe better than another? SDR-35 is allowed, contractor prefers SDR-26 because it won't deform at deeper depths (12 feet). Are any types of connectorts (glued vs. rubber seals) preferred?

I don't want to cut corners and have to do this again. The whole house and existing septic connection is cast iron but I can't afford to go that route.

Thanks. I wish this saga would end!

Comments (5)

• bus_driver
    14 years ago

Sounds as if that contractor is conscientious. But the IPC permits minimum 1/8 per foot for pipe 3" or 4". Greater is good. I would use the 1/8" before using a pump to get the 1/4". Perhaps 3/16" would be possible for gravity flow.

• manhattan42
    14 years ago

IRC and IPC both permit 1/8 slope per foot of run.

Greater slope is not neccessarily a 'better' slope since some plumbing scientists/researchers think that the greater the slope the greater the chance for liquids and solids to separate...and therefore for solids to be left behind to 'clog' pipes.

There is also nothing is any plumbing Code that would prevent 'multiple' pipe slopes.

That is: There is nothing to prevent, say, the 1st 150 feet of pipe to be sloped at 1/4" per foot, then to have the last 100 feet to be sloped at 1/8th inch per foot.

Peronally, I would eliminate all the cast iron pipe and go all PVC....using the slopes set forth above...

Your contractor is not impressing me with his 'knowlegde'.

He sounds more like a "hack"...

• bus_driver
    14 years ago

The IPC (2006) (704.1) specifically states, in part, that drain piping shall be installed at uniform slopes.

• jennysjetta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, thanks. I feel a little better about the smaller slope. What about the pipe thickness? SD-26 or 35?

• lazypup
    14 years ago

SDR pipe is made to the "Size Dimension Ratio". Under SDR to determine the wall thickness the diameter of the pipe is divided by the guide number.

Example: for 4" SDR-35 pipe the wall thickness would be 4/35= 0.114" and 4" SDR-26 would be 4/26= 0.154".

By comparison, PVC schedule 40 pipe, which is made to the IPS (Iron Pipe Standard) the average wall thickness for a 4" pipe would be 0.237", which is more than twice the thickness of the SDR-35 pipe.

While code does permit the use of both PVC Sched. 40 and SDR pipe for the "house Sewer Line" in my humble opinion when you consider the cost of the pipe when compared to the cost of excavation and installation labor the minor amount saved by using SDR pipe is a false economy, especially if you live in a region subject to rocky soil or heavy tree roots. Personally, If it was my house I would insist upon using sched.40.

It should also be noted that code requires a "Main Cleanout" at teh point where the "house Sewer" meets the "house Main Drain". For structures that have a basement the main cleanout is generally placed inside the basement within 3' of the footer wall. For structures on slab the main cleanout is to be placed on the outside within 3' of the footer wall, and for structures built over a crawl space the cleanout may be placed at either of the above mentioned locations.

You are required an additional cleanout for every 80 linear feet of pipe and at any change of direct that is equal to or greater than 45deg.