Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcguirev10

Water softener -- evaporate the drainage?

mcguirev10
11 years ago

We've had a water softener for a few years due to a severe hard-water problem with our well. It just drains to the ground outside the mechanical room. The other day I started thinking about the hundreds of pounds of salt this system has flushed out that drain line. Amazingly the grass hasn't seemed fazed by it -- yet, but I started to wonder if I ought to drain it somewhere else. I don't really have any of the typical options available to me. There is no sewer system in this area and my septic system is about 170 feet away on the opposite end of the house. The nearest drain that connects to the septic system is over 50 feet away with a large garage in between. I can't even run it out to the street, that's a good 50 feet in the other direction, and across a sidewalk and so on...

I mentioned my growing concern about this to my wife and she suggested taking an old trash can or drum and running the drain line into that, and just let the water evaporate away, then throw the salt away with the trash. We're in Florida, I'm not sure whether the water would evaporate fast enough or not, but it seemed like an interesting idea.

I'm looking for feedback on this idea, and also for other creative solutions for anybody else who might be in a similar situation (no sewer system, no convenient access to a septic system, etc).

Comments (5)