Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vessel Faucet, how to tighten the flexible hose nuts

Posted by kellyllek (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 21, 09 at 18:08

Hi all. I have a vessel faucet and it comes with some flexible hose lines. I don't have a picture but if you look here you can get the idea.
http://www.bathroomvesselsinks.com/images/articles/how_to_install_a_vessel_sink/allitems.jpg

follow the hose line, #4, to the tine end. on mine it is a 10.5mm nut. you then have to tighten that indo a little hole in the bottom of the faucet. But how? the holes are set into the faucet about an inch, and I can hand twist them in most of the way. But I can't fit needle nose or any wrench in there to finish the job? It's almost a it it needs a very tiny faucet wrench, but I'm not even sure how that will work really becuase thereis such little clearance.
Sorry I don't have more info, I got the faucet over a year ago off eBay and have no idea on the manufacturer. I can provide pictures if you need more details.

Right now I have them twisted in as tight as I can go, but the design of the flexible hose means that it just spins around the nut now. Something has to actually tighten that nut into the hole to fully seal it. I reckon though this is a common design so there must be a way of doing it?

Any ideas? Tks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Faucet Wrench

You need a 'faucet wrench':

About $6 US bucks in most locations...

Here is a link that might be useful: Faucet Wrench

o
RE: Vessel Faucet, how to tighten the flexible hose nuts

I've found a better picture of the hose nut.
http://www.sanliv.com/flexible-tube-m10-x-f38-f05
This is tiny; no facet wrench I've seen would work. It would have to be eyeglass-screwdriver size. Plus it is set in the base of the faucet by 1", so no level access to it. Plus it is right up next to the other hose so even if I could get one in I couldn't get the other. I can't even get needle nose pliers close. I'll try to send a picture today of what I'm talking about.

Here is a link that might be useful: tiny hose nut

o

You use a faucet wrench on the hex portion of the hose end if the faucet is already installed.

If it is a new unit, you use a regular wrench and attach the faucet end before mounting the faucet.

It is probably around 7/16 inch.

Metric wrenches are normally only in even millimeters.

It should be sticking out since it is set well back from the sealing surfaces.

o

One again, there is no way to get a faucet wrench in here. I barely got these tiny angle needle nose pliers in, and I have no leverage to turn the tiny bolt. Please click the link to see the pictures.
I can't express enough how small this is. And the bolts are at the bottom where the needle nose tips are. The part of the hose above just spins. I've never heard of any tool that can get in here. There are two o-rings, one is below the surface while the other you can just see. But these have to be turned a couple more rotations to seal them, and I see no way of making them tighter. Unless there is a micro faucet wrench I don't see how. My standard faucet wrench is not even close to small enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: vessel faucet lines

o

Hello Kellyllek,
How did you end up solving the problem of tightening the flexible hoses that were recessed into your faucet? I have the same exact problem and am trying to figure this one out. Thanks.
Tim

o

The double o-rings mean that the nut does not have to be all that tight.

The seal is form the o-rings, not threads.

o

It looks like you would need something like an 'ignition' wrench. These are small wrenches that you can get in packs from Sears and some other places. You would tighten these into the faucet base prior to installing the faucet into the sink top. And not that tight since you would strip the Orings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here