Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

dripping exterior Romart frost free faucet

Posted by raee (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 17:55

I have tried to fix this persistent drip. When I disassembled the fixture, the retainer screw appeared to be broken -- the head was missing and the remains of the screw at the broken end was crumbly even though underneath the debris the remaining end was shiny copper or brass. Looks more like copper I turned the water on and flushed out the valve seat washer (it had not come out with the stem) but no screw head.
The washer seemed in good shape so I reused it, replaced the screw, also replaced the packing washer at the handle end; put it all back together and turned the water on. No drip -- success I thought!

But, the next day, the drip was back. I just finished replacing the valve seat washer but still it drips--one drop every 8 seconds.

Any suggestions?

The only other thing that I think might be useful information -- I disassembled the other outdoor faucet because of a leak at the handle when on that I couldn't tighten down. Took it all apart just to check the valve seat washer and found that it was covered with (I think) mineral build up such that I couldn't even see the screw. And, I couldn't scrape it off!

This faucet went back together and the handle leak fixed okay. I wonder if there is similar buildup in the first faucet that isn't letting the stem seat properly? if so, how can I fix that?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: dripping exterior Romart frost free faucet

The valve seat probably needs to be replaced.

RE: dripping exterior Romart frost free faucet

I think that will be beyond me! but I did some googling (actually Bing-ing), and strongly suspect that it was rock-hard mineral deposits that caused the screw to break and won't allow a seal. Maybe I can clean up the mineral deposits from the seat enough to work. Thinking about stuffing a sponge soaked in CLR in there.

RE: dripping exterior Romart frost free faucet

I wanted to follow up in case anyone else has the same problem -- which really was hard water mineral build-up that had corroded the retainer screw and didn't allow the washer to seat cleanly.

I soaked a bit of rag in Lime-away and pushed it into the end of the stopcock then pushed that into the opening. Let it sit for a while, pulled it out then repeated. Turned the water on to flush out any loose debris, then proceeded to reinstall the sillcock. Success, no more drips!

The second sillcock that I mentioned in my OP, that was crusted in deposits -- I soaked in the Lime-away for a few minutes -- the retainer screw on that one crumbled away with the deposits also and had to be replaced.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here