Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kohler K-4512 - stain ring in the bowl

Posted by dks35 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 17:37

Hi,
I have a question about the toilet we got in the guest bathroom of the house we bought recently. The previous owner lived their alone until she passed and the house was sold to us by surviving children and we got it that this bathroom was not used very often. The toilet bowl developed "a ring stain" where water sits that we don't seem to be able to get rid off. It is a good functioning low flow toilet and I don't want to waste it if I can make this stain go away. We tried - all kinds of cleaners, bleach,soda and finally murietic acid solution (for this treatment we had the bowl taken off the pipe and treated in the backyard). Nothing seems to work. The ring is some sort of calcified deposits, you can feel it upon touch, its kinda rough.
Another interesting feature of this toilet is that upon a single flush bowl fills and siphons at least 3 times, which initially made us think it is a flaw or something is wrong with the drain, but it turns out it doesn't waste more water since it is a single flush and keeps waste elimination more efficient - I don't remember seeing such 3-in-1 flush anywhere before. Am I wrong in my assumptions?
This kohler model is from mid 1990's.
Thanks!
Dax

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kohler K-4512 - stain ring in the bowl

Hi, Try a pumice stone to remove the ring.
I think the toilet you have has a solid flapper. There should be a float on the flapper chain. The closer the float is to the flapper the more water it uses. Adjust the float up until the flush still works good . That will save water. When the float is too high the toilet won't flush well.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here