Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No hot water in some areas - new house, recirc loop

Posted by david_cary (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 18, 10 at 17:29

So I have called my plumber but his turn around time is slow.

I have a new house (1 year old) with a recirc loop for hot water and 80 gal tank with solar and electric back up.

The tank is hot (the solar portion has a display of tank temp). Hot water works downstairs. Upstairs in one room in particular, the water starts hot and then cools down. I tried it this am and I could take a shower for about 60 sec and then it was too cold to continue. I moved to the master bedroom and the shower was hot but colder than usual. The sink in guest room with single handle was cool - just like the shower.
There are antiscald - pressure balanced in upstairs rooms except the master which has thermostatic valve. When this happened, a direct hot water valve (sink) was hot but would get cold for a few secs. The pressure is normal in the sink and shower and tub.

It is like a valve is allowing cold water to get into the loop. Is that possible? Could a single valve cartridge causes multiple points to not have hot water? The loop coudl be blocked by debris but then the whole house would be affected.

Any guesses?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No hot water in some areas - new house, recirc loop

There should be a check valve in the system that only allows water to flow one way.

If it is omitted or not working you can get funny things like this.

o

"Any guesses?"

Sure. Ignorant, though, not seeing what you actually have there.
Sounds like you're getting a slug of hot water that's risen in the piping..."I could take a shower for about 60 sec and then it was too cold to continue."
Your statement "Hot water works downstairs." seems to bear that out.

o

Hi, Check the direction of the water flow from the recert pump.I believe it should flow from the pump into the tank. There is an arrow on the pump that shows the direction of water flow.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here