Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for opinion on this estimate

Posted by CHazzard (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 16:59

I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. I'm looking for an opinion on an estimate a plumber gave me on moving our washer/dryer hookups to the first floor.

He was very clear that the job was easy. Those were his words. The wall we'd like the washer dryer on is the wall where the main plumbing stack is located. The washer and dryer would also be adjacent to an exterior wall.

We specifically asked him to include an option for running a gas line and what the additional cost would be, even though gas makes me nervous. But, again, the gas line is located directly beneath where the washer and dryer are going and, in his words, would be very easy.

He didn't identify the cost of separate items in his quote, so I'm not sure how much of this estimate is the running of the gas line/venting the dryer to the exterior/running water line, etc. but the total is $1200.

That's far more than we expected, especially since he identified where all the pipes were located and said it was "easy." We have talked to people that have done this in the past who haven't paid nearly that much, but perhaps they did it so long ago what they paid is now unrealistic.

Anyway, I'd really like some feedback on this. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for opinion on this estimate

I don't know about the price but I will never ask a plumber to run or quote on a gas line. You need a qualified gas technical for this job.

Your plumber should give you a quote on the plumbing work. I also wonder who is going to patch up the wall after all these work ?

o

Maccps is wrong......Plumbers may also run both low pressure and high pressure gas, although you will never see high pressure gas in a residential structure.

o

He said he would do everything to code. His estimate does not include any electrical or drywall work. We would have to find separate people to patch the drywall after and install the 220 needed for the dryer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here