Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reader77

Odor from new sink installation

reader77
11 years ago

MY new stainless steel sink, faucet and disposer were installed 10 days ago.

A nasty smell is coming from there - not a sewer type smell or mold, but a choking chemical smell. I thought at first it was from the mastic around the pipes and would soon disperse. I am leaving the cabinet doors open 24/7 - not convenient. I put a jar of air freshener there, and the smell overpowers it.

I checked online and one theory is that sinks made in China may have toxic chemicals in them.

I asked Lowes who did the installation and I was told smell should soon go away!

HELP!!

Comments (12)

• tjdabomb
    11 years ago

I have had this phenomena before, never lasted long though.

Sounds like the metal is off-gassing, though a pain, wrap the sinks and pipes (not the disposal, it needs to "breathe") in 4mm plastic and then duct tape. This will keep the smell concealed until such time that the off-gassing stops.

Another possibility is to leave your cabinet doors open and put a box fan in front of the cabinet blowing in - it WILL disperse the smell throughout your kitchen/house, but, with a few windows/doors open and your HVAC on "Fan", you should be able to get the smell out of the house fairly quick.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

If it is metal try cleaning it.

Metals do not 'off-gas' unless there is some coating on them.

It could be any one of the finish materials used, even the particle board.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

Sometimes a stainless sink is sprayed with a tar-like substance for sound-deadening. This stuff will give off an odor for a while.

• tjdabomb
    11 years ago

Ya weed, Blanco's have some material that looks like peel and seal roofing used for deadening, that can smell especially once hot water makes the metal warm/hot.

Brick, you are correct, un-treated/coated metal wouldn't off-gas itself, though, most new "quality" fixtures are chemically sealed to resist stains - that can smell. I guess I wasn't complete enough in my prior post.

• reader77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There are 2 patches about 6 x 6 which have brand name Zeroxy and "noise control" on them. I think this is source of smell, but 2 people at Lowes don't seem to have heard of them.

They are SUPPOSED to be contacting local cabinet company who made the counters and provided the under mounted sink.

The burning candle seems to help some. I have also used the fan and fresh air.

• reader77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Correction - name is Zerony. Had to read it upside down!

• tjdabomb
    11 years ago

reader77, i think simply covering those 6x6 patches with another non-smelly material will off-set all the smell.

• reader77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all who made suggestions - yes, covering the patches up may help. That might take care of possible toxic chemicals.

Burning a candle has seemed to help, too.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

" That might take care of possible toxic chemicals. "

How do you know they are "toxic chemicals"?

Cause they small bad?

• reader77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Of course I can't prove the adhesive on the pads is toxic! I looked up the company who made them, and they come from South Korea. Note I did say "possible"

I have read many foreign have manufacturers have no quality control over what they use.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"I have read many foreign have manufacturers have no quality control over what they use. "

Still does not make it 'toxic."

• reader77
    Original Author
    11 years ago

O k - I will post nothing further - since obviously I am WRONG