Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pickledseeds

toilet flange above floor

pickledseeds
17 years ago

The top of my toilet flange is at least 1 inch above my finished floor (I have linoleum in the bathroom). I'm pretty sure I need to either 1.)lower the flange (which will probably be $$$) or 2.) raise the toilet. Does anyone know of a way to raise a toilet?

Comments (9)

• fqp25
    17 years ago

If you have the option, you should try to lower the flange. Raising a toilet can be a little difficult, and could cause unnecessary stress to the porcelain, and could cause it to crack. Plus it just looks funny, because you will need to seal the bottom part where the bowl meets the floor.

• pickledseeds
    Original Author
    17 years ago

fqp: How do I lower the flange? I consider myself a good diy-er but when it comes to plumbing I'm not that knowledgeable.

• sbs9
    17 years ago

Sound to me like a good excuse to put in a tile floor.

• fqp25
    17 years ago

What kind of material is your drain pipes? Cast Iron, PVC, Copper, Galvinizerd Iron, Lead?

• pickledseeds
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sbs: Yes, I agree but we will be selling the house soon so I don't want to put too much money into it.

fqp: I'm not sure. I think PVC??? The house was built in the early 80s.

• fqp25
    17 years ago

If it is PVC, and the bottom of the flange is off the floor high enough you can slip a hacksaw under it; you can cut it flush with the floor. Then you have to buy an "Inside Fit" closet flange, which slips inside the pipe. (to get this flange you'll probably have to go to a plumbing supply house instead of a Big-Box store)

• pinocchio
    17 years ago

Great question: "Does anyone know of a way to raise a toilet?"

Better believe it, CukeDuke. I was a witness to the failed raising of a love-child. ItÂs a lot easier to raise a toilet, if only because they donÂt give you as much crap. OTOH, when the question becomes Nature vs. Nurture, Nature wins hands-down in this forum.

Raising a toilet is hard, because they need to have a good, solid-education if you want them to go anywhere. (IÂm sure youÂve heard of potty-training.)

I know we donÂt actually need to invite Albert Einstein into this discussion, but he did say something about relativity that we can employ. Einstein would agree that raising a toilet is equal to lowering the flange. But itÂs a little scary.

I had an uncle who used to threaten: "IÂm going to lower the flange!" That scared the livin stuff out of everybody. So naturally, it never went anywhere from there. He died much too early. HeÂs been inturd ever since. Tomorrow, I want tell you about my dear aunt. But, first, letÂs see if I still have a log-in.

Pinoke

• pickledseeds
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'll be running out to Home Depot or Lowes and see what I can find.

• rodney123
    17 years ago

If the pipe is PVC or ABS the job of lowering the flange is a piece of cake. Simply use a dremel tool with a cut-off wheel, and cut the pipe about 1/2( to 1( below floor level from the inside of the pipe, then get a (Twist-N-Set( closet flange. The website below gives specific instruction for installing one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Twist-n-Set Closet Flange