Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ct_newbie

Help with Water Analysis and Filter Rec

CT_Newbie
10 years ago

We finally got our water analyzed. I am wondering if we even need any type of filter. I was initially concerned with chlorine (or is it the chloride) as the water tastes a little different than at our old house.

The blue circle means it was detected at or above the minimal level of detection but not above standard guidelines.

The plumbing store before the analysis said I should get the
ev927070 H300 Retail system ~$300. Another company had recommend a $600 system, one just got rid of chorine, the other also filtered out parasites and bacteria since we have reservoir water. We were slightly concerned about the antibacterial soap backlash and were thinking we should just filter out the chlorine unless we were really high in parasites/bacteria.

Please help interpret our results and comment on our filter options. Do we even really need a filter?

Also, we were told we do not have hard water but given the number, it certainly doesn't look soft. We have an icemaker. Should we be concerned?

Lastly, I thought flouride was good, yet it is listed as higher than recommended. Is that too much of a good thing is bad?

Thanks so much!

Comments (6)

• CT_Newbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

FYI - I left off the remaining pages because everything was checked off as fine.

Also, any thoughts on GE filters? Thanks

This post was edited by CT_Newbie on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 15:38

• User
    10 years ago

Your water is about as good as it could possibly get. You specifically mentioned flouride - yours is well below the national standard. As to hardness. you have less than three grains per gallon. I would be tempted to just live with that amount. If you find that you are getting buildup that bothers you, you might consider a softener.

As to taste, that is so subjective that it's difficult to know for certain whether a filter will do the job or not. In my opinion a $200 or $600 filter would be overkill - you could purchase a simple under-counter GAC (carbon) filter for your drinking water and see if the water tastes better to you. It will remove chlorine/chloramines which are often the culprits when tastes is an issue. You can find an industry standard filter at any hardware of plumbing store for less than $50.

• CT_Newbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Alice! I wasn't sure how bad the circled ones were - whether my standard should really be the EPA primary or secondary (as opposed to just looking at the national standards). I'd probably go with the GE simple under counter filter and hope that the taste improves or that I get used to it.

Any other opinions? Or concurs?

Thank you.

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

Take it from someone in the water treatment business. Your water is fine. Chlrorine is needed to disinfect the water and to keep it from becoming contamniated with germs should there be a main break or vandalism. Flouride is for dental wellness and is recommended at around 1.0 ppm (mg/l). Your water is filtered at the treatment plant.

The people who try to talk people into removing flouride and chlorine are simply trying to talk you out of your money! Scaring people is a very big business now days.

This post was edited by jcalhoun on Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 13:05

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

The taste issue is probably due to the cartridge filter in the refridgerator. Try changing it. Plastic that is used in the refridgerators will somes leave a flunky taste in water anyway. I like to keep a glass pitcher of tap water in my refridgerator.

What they are calling national standards is what the business refers to as MCL (maximum containment level). It is the highest amount that the EPA will allow in potable water. Where there is a dash there is no MCL for that. mg/l is a fancy way of saying parts per million. Chlroine has a minimum also which is 0.2 ppm.

EPA Primary standards are anything that affect health such as chlorine, lead, flouride, etc.

EPA Secondary standards are mostly taste, color, or otherwise cosmetic issues that are harmless such as manganese

This post was edited by jcalhoun on Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 13:03

• CT_Newbie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all! The water was straight from the tap, not the refrigerator so the taste issue is still there. I will search on the site for Watts Premier 53113 and post if there isn't recent feedback.. Please let me know if this one can be split between an icemaker and the tri-flow.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XISS2Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Would like to know what people think about this one. The GE filters my husband can get at a discount are backordered.