Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbbrat_user_4dcd6293ba7c8

Which POE water filter?

HI!
Comparing two systems and would love some professional and/or user thoughts or feedback.

APEC Total Solution 10 vs Aquasana Rhino w/ softener and UV filter.

APEC -- http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/whole-house/total-solution/water-filter-system-10.htm

Aquasana- http://www.aquasana.com/product_detail.php?product_id=29#pr-header-back-to-top-link

Thoughts with UV filter vs RO? What would be a flow rate that wouldn't noticeable affect pressure?

Apec is a little more vague -- up to 99% contaminant free could be a lot less than 99%! However, cost is significantly less.

Thoughts? Thank you!

Comments (3)

• User
    9 years ago

POE RO can be problematic and expensive.

On a well or municipal water system?

Results from a comprehensive water test by a certified independent lab?

What is in your water that you are wanting to filter... and why?

Do you currently have any water treatment equipment?

• sbbrat_user_4dcd6293ba7c8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your response. We have municipal water. We haven't had an independent test run but this link has our local water quality report:
    http://www.smcmua.org/water_quality.htm

The Total Solution 10 is 3 part system: carbon, water softener, followed by RO.

The Aquasana is also a 3 step system- pre-filter, copper-zinc and mineral -stone, and activated carbon but you can also purchase the softener, post-filter, and UV filter.

I do not have anything currently. I want to filter the water because I am concerned about the amount of contaminants that makes it's way into our drinking and bathing water. I'd like to have the cleanest water possible for my family.

Do you mind taking a look at the two systems mentioned in my last post and provide an opinion -- or recommend anything else? I know they are expensive but our bodies are so overloaded with toxic exposure everywhere that I'd like to try to limit what is in my control. However, I don't want to pay for something useless and gimmicky either.

Thanks!

• User
    9 years ago

I am familiar with all the options you have listed.

Water quality reports are issued to satisfy the government that municipal water supplies are safe, BUT results are indicated in ranges, not specific measurements, and the results are dated, not recent. There are those who take the easy way and will accept those reports as a basis for water treatment recommendations but I don't.

Water treatment is chemistry and physics with mechanics. Disciplines that hardly lend themselves to ranges and dated results not at the location where you want to treat the water.

To speak intelligently regarding water treatment we need results of a water test by a certified independent lab of the water where we want to treat it... your home after the miles and miles and miles of old pipes and valves from the water treatment plant.

The assumption that just because there is stuff in the water it has to be removed must be tempered by exactly what is in the water and exactly what level of it is in the water, and exactly what that specific stuff in the water at exactly that level will do to you and your family or not do.

You can install an under sink RO in the kitchen and use that water exclusively for drinking, cooking, and ice making. RO units pretty much eliminate everything in the water but the H2 and the O. That won't address your concerns regarding bathing and showering, but without a comprehensive water test we don't know that those concerns are founded in fact or concerns for your family or (with respect) paranoia.