Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't find refrigerator water suppy line shut-off

Posted by jhome2007 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 29, 10 at 15:01

I am moving my refrigerator from one side of kitchen to another side. The ice maker water supply line will be restored at the new location. But I can't find the one to the old location since the basement was finished. How do I deal with it? My contractor suggests to leave it and seal it. But I am concern about leakage might happen down the road since the old line will be put inside the wall.

-J

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't find refrigerator water suppy line shut-off

I share your concern. Assuming this line is typical plastic flex-line I wouldn't leave it "sealed" and pressurized inside a wall. If it's copper, that can be solder-sealed and not worried about. Best solution would be to remove it, trace it, seal at the source....if you can find it.

I hate stuff like this. But it really should be done right. The expense of hidden water damage is worthy of prevention.

o

"If it's copper, that can be solder-sealed and not worried about."

That depends on what type of fitting was used to tap into the larger supply line.

If it is a 'saddle valve' that clamps to the copper line and then punches a hole for water it WILL eventually start to leak.
Water, steel, and copper are NOT a good combination.
Galvanic corrosion eventually starts.

Even if you close a saddle valve it may not actually seal, and corrosion can continue.

The damaged section of copper water pipe need to be cut out and a coupling installed.

A saddle valve and plastic tubing is even worse.

o

Agree with brickeye.....I only got it 1/2-right. And !/2 won't do when considering potential water leaks. Need to get to the source.

o

I live in a Dilsheimer Communities home named the Grant II.
We're the second owners and the basement was finished when we moved in. We need to replace the line to the fridge, but we can't find where the shut noff is. Any suggestions?

o

"We need to replace the line to the fridge, but we can't find where the shut noff is. Any suggestions?"
Start cutting holes in the ceiling below.

Start cutting holes in the ceiling below.

The valve should never have been enclosed.

You may be able to measure from wall to get an approximate location, or even drill through the floor above down through the ceiling to find the location.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here