Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bathtub faucet lever to divert faucet water to shower

Posted by bchnut (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 27, 10 at 14:54

I have a brand new tub and shower and plumbing. The top of faucet has a diverter knob: pull up makes the water come out of the shower, Push down and the water comes out of the faucet. I mentioned to my boyfriend when done showering, the diverter is a little difficult to push down to make the water come out of the faucet instead of shower. So i said turn water off 1st, then push the diverter knob down, because then the knob is MUCH easier to push down. Does it matter if the water is turned off 1st? Does water stay in pipe going up to shower head? Or should i push hard on the diverter? (seems like lots of water pressure on diverter! and pushing too hard on new faucet)Then I was thinking maybe just turn the water pressure down a little then push down on the diverter knob, and then finish turning water off....Does this make sense? What do you suggest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bathtub faucet lever to divert faucet water to shower

Pushing the diverter down after the water is turned off will still allow the water to drain from the shower arm to the fill spout. There is probably some roughness in the brass castings that is causing increased resistance, but that shouldn't be a problem when you turn the water off first. It may work easier after repeated use.

o

What you describe is fairly normal (easier to push down after turning off the water). I'm in the habit of pushing down the diverter afterward to drain it, but if it's left in the up position it's no big deal and will likely still dribble out slowly until the diverter releases on it's own. If not, still no big deal.

o

The water pressure is what is holding the diverter in position.

Turing off the valves removes the pressure so the diverter is much easier to operate.

The is nothing wrong with anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here