Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recirc Pumps 101

Posted by laurat88 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 14:51

I've been reading and trying to get educated on recirc pumps in order to figure out what to do for our situation. Can anyone point me to a recirc pump 101 type of site or provide some commentary on our situation?

We have an L-shaped house with the garage at the base of the L and the master bath as far away from it as possible. It takes forever to get the hot water to the shower! We are in the midst of a remodel where the house will become a U-shaped house. The new part of the house will be a kitchen so there is plumbing work that needs to be done. We will use a standard water heater (our current one is relatively new so we are not replacing it)but we wanted to consider a recirc pump option to solve the water waste problem in the master bath.

I have one plumber telling me to run a new dedicated line with the pump at the hot water tank in the garage and set the pump to a timer. I have another telling me to install a pump underneath the sink in the master bath - which would require some electrical work, but not a dedicated line. Something like this:
http://www.gothotwater.com/hot-water-systems/how-it-works
Honestly, that approach seems more logical to me but I am a novice and was hoping to learn from some experts out there.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Under the sink recirc pump

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recirc Pumps 101

Search this forum for laing and autocirc and Google the same.

I have a similar situation as yours and have very happy with my retrofit recirc. Saves gobs of water, cost's pennies to run, and an EZ non-invasive DIY install.

It is best to do a recirc with a dedicated line but that can be VERY expensive and VERY inconvenient after the house is built.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here