Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19789736

Watts Leak Protector...this is too cool not to post it

User
12 years ago

Watts Leak Protector...

The Leak Protector is designed especially for undersink water filters and reverse osmosis units, but can be used in other applications such as refrigerator feed lines, water coolers or basement filter installations.

click here for more info

Comments (7)

• homebound
    12 years ago

Sure, but I prefer my lines up and out of reach from getting bumped. Installing this in the bottom of the cabinet invites trouble.

How about a watchdog alarm instead?

Here is a link that might be useful: watchdog

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just posted it cause it is a great idea for cheap.

The Watts unit unit actually shuts off the water if there is a leak. Unlike the watchdog, there is no battery to die and alarms fall on deaf ears when no one is home. Me, I prefer a safety device to actually provide some safety.

• jakethewonderdog
    12 years ago

Lurker,

It is cool.

Question about it's positive cut-off after a few years... I know valves that don't have a positive shut off after a few years (that's why I always use ball valves).

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jake, it's an emergency shut off, not a service shut-off.

Water leaks, Expanding gizmo gets wet and expands, water shut off. Fix leak and replace expanding gizmo inside

I've never seen a ball valve that SHUTS OFF in case of a water leak... did they sneak by me?

• jakethewonderdog
    12 years ago

Come on Lurker, I get it.

My point is that we are depending on the emergency shut off to actually work - after it's been subjected to a few years of hard water, pitting, etc. but no actual cycling off and on.

I've seen many service valves (except ball valves) not provide positive shut-off after a few years of being in place, but not being turned off and on.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"My point is that we are depending on the emergency shut off to actually work - after it's been subjected to a few years of hard water, pitting, etc. but no actual cycling off and on."

Actually Jake, when this gizmo is installed on an RO it should be seeing SOFT water. And there is no VALVE to cycle... only a cut-off that an expanding pad pushes up on a disc to cut off the water...

{{!gwi}}

If it's installed and one ever has a leak and it works then one is ahead... if it isn't installed and one has a leak then one is SCREWED if they aren't home and even if one is home there will still be water damage and a mess to clean up.

I'll take a shot for $18 in the event I EVER have a leak at my under sink RO. I consider it cheap insurance that doesn't expire or have to be renewed.

I'm seeing more filter cases on cheap ROs crack open then I thought I'd ever see and then there's the saddle valves in DIYer RO and filter installs that will fail sooner or later.

I didn't say this thing was PERFECT... I said it was COOL and it is.

• ionized_gw
    12 years ago

Interesting idea. I like the concept. Even better if it works well. If you feel the need to test/exercise it, you could just pretend to be replacing the pad and push the valve plunger up.