Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat tape in a tight space

Posted by alan_s_thefirst (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 14:08

Not really sure if this is plumbing or electrical... I want to put a short heat tape on my water shutoff..the code in BC Canada at the time permitted it to be in an outside wall...dumb.

It's very well insulated with isoboard now, so well the only way to attach the heat tape will be with cable ties, and it will have to run along the pipe, no wrapping around possible. I was going to put the approved Mylar bubble wrap insulation over it (instructions say to insulate and air barrier over the tape.

Will this work? I doubt the heat tape will ever be needed, it's just extra protection. I can't think of any other way to do it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat tape in a tight space

I use a Raychem tape that changes resistance as the temperature changes. Then I plug that into a thermostat unit that shuts off at 40 deg and above. Bought it all at Grainger- do not know if they are in Canada.
Slip one of the split side pipe insulation sections over it. If just 10% of the interior cross section area of the pipe at all points is not frozen, the water will flow when desired.
The above should be enough to get your search started.

o

Thanks. The slit type insulation is a GREAT idea, if I can squeeze it in there, it's pretty tight but that would be perfect. I already have a little heat tape, the shortest one I could get, but I'll look at Raychem. I don't think I've seen that one, everyone seems to use this brand:

Here is a link that might be useful: Wrap-on

o

The type of tape bus_driver refers to is a "self-regulating" tape. It puts out less heat the warmer it gets. That's what you want. Tape plus thermostat is a belt-and-suspenders setup to keep a failing tape from starting a fire.

This is the setup I specify for industrial use in the job that pays the bills.

o

You know, I missed the thermostat thing somehow. I guess something like a baseboard heater one? Good idea. If I'd known about that, I'd have wired things differently.

o

The thermostat I use is a separate item. It has a piggyback plug that the thermostat controls. That heat tape will use some power and create some heat even at Summer temperatures. I see no reason to use the electricity unnecessarily. So I set the thermostat to just turn off at 40 deg. Below 40, the tape is heating at about 3 watts per foot (as best I remember).

o

Cool. Do you have a name or link for the thermostat? I'd planned to unplug the heat tape spring-fall, but I like the idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here