Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Flip stop tub drain access panel?

Posted by sherrilea (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 7, 11 at 14:03

I'm building a new house in California and was just informed by the plumber that I cannot have a flip stop waste and overflow drain in my tub without it requiring an access panel located directly behind these fittings (per code).

Can anyone tell me if this is true? I thought the requirement was for slip joint connections. Maybe flip stop mechanisms only come with slip joint connections?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Flip stop tub drain access panel?

Where are you putting the stop valves for the tub?

RE: Flip stop tub drain access panel?

Code does not require stop valves for tubs or showers...

I just looked through a stack of my catalogs, then did a quick online search but I am not finding any glue-in or solder in waste & overflow kits with a flip lever on the overflow.

What I did find was "lift & turn", & "toe taps" ( Personally I prefer the toe tap)

RE: Flip stop tub drain access panel?

brickeyee, not sure I know how to answer your question. My main concern is with the master air/soaker tub. Here is the inspiration picture which is similar to our set up:

We have a water closet to the left which will have an access panel for the motor. To the right is the shower. Center front is the tub drain which we want a cable drain stop mechanism. But we are told it will require another access panel.

RE: Flip stop tub drain access panel??

Thanks lazypup. I'm resigned to going with a "lift & turn" or a "toe tap" stop for my guest baths. But I want a cable drain mechanism for my deep master tub for convenience. Don't want to have to lean way over to reach a lift and turn , or stick my foot in for a toe tap, when I want to fill the tub.

Problem is this type of stop mechanism supposedly requires an access door that has to be directly behind - not under or to the side. This give me heartache with regards to the finish tiling :-(

RE: Flip stop tub drain access panel?

You may be able to do something like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Schluter

RE: Flip stop tub drain access panel?

Thanks for the link palimpsest. Interesting concept. I wonder if anyone has done something like this. Would sure like to see pictures of it in place - both open and closed.

RE: Flip stop tub drain access panel?

"Code does not require stop valves for tubs or showers..."

A rather poor setup.

Remember the code is the MINIMUM.

RE: Flip stop tub drain access panel?

I spent over 30 yrs in the plumbing trade and I could count on one hand how many tubs or showers I ever saw that had shutoff valves and nearly every one of those was installed as a DIY or a fly-by-night wannabee plumber. On the other hand, putting the entire bathroom on zone valves is quite common.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here