Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barrow

Dripping Faucet Won't Fix!!

Jane Barrow
9 years ago

I hope someone can assist me. I am an artist, homeowner and have repaired a badly dripping faucet in my bathroom. I consider myself average for such fixits but really... this wasn't that complicated a job yet I have not been able to Fix!!! I replaced washer and spring. This wasn't enough. Then I replaced inner stem (don't know the proper term)
and all SHOULD work now but faucets turn without turning water on or off. I have finally determined that it must be the nut ?? which I think was originally flush to the base and now does not turn this far. I sprayed both nut and threads with Liquid Wrench for mild improvement but all videos say that one does not have to put overdue pressure on tightening this. However no video - that I have seen yet - explains to me whether the nut should touch the base (cover plate). It seems logical that it would as there are more threads to be seen. This overall mechanism is simple enough and I have checked repeatedly so this seems to be the only thought I have left. I am feeling SO frustrated for such a simple job!!!

Comments (6)

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

And the make and model of the faucet, please

• Jane Barrow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THanks!! It has Peerle stamped on front. I don't know model number. Is 20 or more years old, but has a contemporary look 0r perhaps classic in that it has two faucets shaped as X style and one tall arched faucet. It used a 3S-10H/C stem replacement. It was clear the washer was bad (it was dripping a lot) so I first replaced washer and spring. Nothing worked so I went back and purchased stems (above) and replaced those. The stems are exactly like the ones I removed. I have taken out and put in several times turning 180 to fit slots in both ways... The best I can see now is that the nut is not screwing all the way to the base. I have used Liquid Wrench and it improves slightly but faucet turns back and forth and no water at all (as though something is not connected, but it is!). Water is at steady but light stream when water is on and neither faucet does anything. I am SO appreciative of you replying... I thought no one was around!

• User
    9 years ago

We're around but your description is useless without a picture so we know what we're talking about. How about moving your faucet closer to the keyboard so we can see it?

"The stems are exactly like the ones I removed"... really, EXACTLY? Are the replacement stems OEM or third party parts from the great anonymous Chinese parts company blister packed on a wall?

It has been my experience that using third party repair parts in fixtures often does not resolve the problem. They may look the same but the QC and materials are highly questionable.

Search around for a plumbing supply company that's been around a long time. Since you don't know the correct terminology you can't discuss your needs with a tradesman(woman) so take a picture of your faucet or better yet, the faucet itself with you.

• Jane Barrow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THanks to both of you and yes,,, next time I do this I'll have images handy. I understand but your skepticism justalurker makes me pause before calling plumber. I will remove what I have put in and look carefully at the two. It WAS one of the vacuum sealed, made in China repair parts and yes, there is a great old fashioned plumbing store that I know of. I will bring PHOTOS and parts with me to them tomorrow. You all are great.. thanks much.

• User
    9 years ago

Not skepticism... hard lessons learned wasting time and money on cheap parts that said they fit but didn't solve the problem.

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

I had similar problems with a Delta I had. I bought the replacement thingy (looks like a rubber thimble with a spring in it), replaced it, and it start dripping again almost immediately. It took a couple of tries to finally get one that worked.