Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
indy_patrick

Water Softener Help Please. Fleck

Indy_Patrick
9 years ago

We just bought a new house and need some suggestion on a water heater. All my searched lead me to this site.
So I joined and here is my post. Hoping someon can assist me the way others have been helped.

Indianapolis City Water

Official water quality report
http://www.citizensenergygroup.com/pdf/2013WaterReport.pdf

I called the number listed on the site and was told

Hardnedss = 22

City Water = No Iron

House is 4 bathroom ( 3 full 1 half) (1 full is used rarely it's in the basement with a guest bedroom.

My wife and I plus two kids (4 yr and 1 yr)

Using the suggested math online

4 ppl X 75 Gallons X 22 GPG + 0 Iron = 6600

It seems that puts me in the range of 48,000 Grain

Seems like people suggest Fleck 2510SXT or 7000SXT both offer 48,000 grain. I see the 2510 can come with a 3/4 bypass. Should I stay away from the 1" so I don't have to get something to convert the size? Sorry plumbing is not my strong suite.

My water supply coming in is 3/4"

Any suggestions on a online site to purchase?

Some sites advertise the resin is already installed others say you need to install. Does this matter?

Some advertise option to upgrade resin. Should I get 10% or is 8 crosslink ok?

I've read others suggest a gravel bed?

Some show with Square Salt Bins others round?

Some show with Copper shut off vs plastic?

Once installed what salt should I use for this system. I used Morton Yellow System Saver II on my previous house Kenmore.

One final large question. I have access to a large Carbon Backwash system. It was purchased by my brother with a krystal klear water System. Long story short he bought some farm land and built a house he had his water tested before and provided the results to the the local dealer and said give me a system to fix this. They installed the Krystal Klear and after a week had his water tested again. I am not sure what the test found but it failed to remove what it advertised. Local dealer got Krystal Klear to refund money and did't want system back. They no longer sell Krystal Klear So he was going to give me the reverse carbon filter. Would I benefit at all? If I needed/wanted a filter is this the type to have?

I appreciate anyone taking the time to answer and assist.

Patrick

Comment (1)

• User
    9 years ago

The need/desire for a carbon filter depends entirely on what you may wish to remove from your water. If you are concerned about purely a taste issue, a point-of-use filter is a better option than a whole-house carbon filter, particularly one that has been in service elsewhere, removed, stored, etc. Depending upon the amount of time and conditions of storage and the water in it, it could be contaminated with any number of things.

You city's water report indicates that you do have a small amount of iron and manganese. Theoretically, those will be oxidized by the chlorine the city ads and fall out of solution as small particulate. However, since chlorination rates can vary, we will need to assume they stay in the water in order to properly size the softener.

You estimated 75 gallons per person per day. Is this based on metered water usage, or is it just a guess? Typical water usage is closer to 60 gallons per person per day. If 75 g/p/d is accurate, you will land solidly in the 3 cuft (96k grains) softener size. If 60 is accurate, you could get away with a 2 cuft softener, but a 2.5 would be better. Your calculations came up with a smaller size because you did not take into account the fact that softener capacity is dependent upon salt dosage.

The following requirements are for an industry standard softener. If you are looking for a non-electronic softener, Kinetico offers the more reliable options at a premium price (and you would need to deal with a local Kinetico rep). Any decent softener vendor should be able to provide the following:

• High quality American or German made resin. This will provide a tight size distribution for optimal flow within the resin, longer resin life and more reliable, predictable water softening.

• It will be better for you to install your own resin - things shift during shipping.

• Since you have CITY WATER: 10% crosslinked resin. The oxidizers that city water treatment plants use, such as chlorine or chloramine, are harmful to softener resins. Higher crosslinking will resist chemical attack longer.

• Top basket. This serves two purposes. It sets up a proper water distribution during normal operation and prevents resin loss during backwash.

• Gravel underbed. The gravel underbed is there to set up proper flow patterns, improve backwash, keep the bottom basket in place, prevent basket failure, and prevent channeling. Many softener sales companies like to leave this out or sell softeners with a vortex system instead. Vortex systems weigh less than gravel so they cost less to ship. In addition, they are a more expensive item that adds profit for the softener salesperson, but provides no additional benefit to the homeowner . It simply adds another piece of equipment that can break.

• Fleck or Clack valves. These set the industry standard. Be aware that you will not be able to purchase Clack valves online. This is not a problem if you purchase locally.

• The valve should regen...