Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower won't turn off completely

Posted by claudemo (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 18, 09 at 13:12

Hello, I have a PUSH/Pull Shower Knob in my shower and it won't shut off completely. I have tightened the screw on the stem and it still won't shut off completely. Is the stem worn out and if so, what tool do I need in order to remove the stem and replace it, and what parts would I need to fix it. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower won't turn off completely

The screw on the stem is only there to hold on the knob and is not the solution to this problem. You'll probably need to get a rebuild kit for the valve at a plumbing or big box store and replace the internal parts. This is usually not a terrifically difficult job if you have some plumbing skills, but the actual steps involved depend on the design of your particular valve. Hopefully you know the brand of valve and maybe even the name of the model, or can contact the manufacturer, so you can figure out what kit to buy.

o
RE: Shower won't turn off completely, part 2

One other thought. Many of these single lever valves have a set of ceramic disks that control the water flow. Sometimes you can get grit in the line that partially jams one of the openings in the valve so it won't close completely. In any case, though, you'll have to be able to get the valve disassembled to see if it just has a piece of grit in it, or if it's worn or broken and needs the replacement kit.

o

What brand is it?

o

Probably needs the cartridge replaced. If the brand is Moen, it sounds like the Chateau. (The Chateau has a a clear acrylic knob: push/pull for on/off, and turn it left/right to adjust the temp.)

o

what do I do when the volve won't come out? maybe some wd40, I don't know can somebody help me please......

o

"what do I do when the volve won't come out?"

There is usually a clip or other device holding the cartridge in the valve body.

Remove the knob and the decorative plate and you should see the retaining method.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here