Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
standing drain pipe size requirements

Posted by duhFooL (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 13:08

my new WM only opens from right to left, forcing me to place it further from the old drain pipe.

I've read everywhere that current code requires a 2" drain pipe.

from out of the wall, I see 1.5" pipe.
since it is covered wity drywall, i can't see much more.
My father says the code should be for the main drain pipe and that 1.5" is okay with the vertical riser and the horizontal pipe leading into the wall drain.

is he correct or do i need to break the wall and change it to a 2" pipe?
what if the pipe inside is also 1.5, do i need to replace the whole drain assembly?
is it possible for me to use a 2" pipe and use an adapter to connect to the 1.5 in the wall, in case the inspector insists on a 2" pipe?

house was built in 1965.
he also mentioned that as long as the vertical stack was above the WM tub, there should be enough pressure to drain properly with a 1.5" pipe.

thanks.
first time homeowner here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: standing drain pipe size requirements

one more addition. i am going by california plumbing code.
I was not able to find city/County specific codes.

o

If you don't touch it, then it's fine at the current 1 1/2" that currently exists. Just buy a longer drain hose. If you start redoing stuff, then yes, you've got to open up the wall and make it all 2" to the main drain, which will also mean opening up the floor for access to change that portion of the piping as well.

o

is it possible to extend the drain hose 4-5 feet?
do i hook it up high enough so that the extension slopes down to the original drain?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here